Keys Assistance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJStateRanger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi Everyone, I will be in the Keys April 21-27th at Curry Hammock State Park(Marathon) area. A buddy of mine and myself(he's fisherman, non-diver). I will have my Kayak with me, which I have used lots for fishing, diving, etc. Does anyone know of any inshore or bayside areas for snorkling, diving.(yes, I know most diving is done offshore). Also if anyone is interested and in the area at that time, I would also be looking for a dive partner. I may rent a boat for a day for fishing, diving. Thanks for any help provided.

You will be close to Bahia Honda State Park. I have been told that there are things to see in the fairly shallow water off some of the beaches (which are nice). Give a call to the park to confirm this. Also, the Park runs snorkel trips to Looe Key which is very nice. The reef is protected (part of the Marine Park) and the top of it is very shallow and excellent for snorkeling. Search on ScubaBoard and the web for Dive Ops that go to Looe Key. My wife and I loved it because of the fantastic growth on the reef. Our 2 dives did not go below about 30 ft.

You'd probably see some of the same things swimming by at Curry Hammock that you'd see at Bahia Honda...We spent the day at BH, and did a little snorkelling, but didn't see much too much...I usually end up seeing more down in KW at Fort Zachary Taylor, there are some old coral boulders just off the shore and there's a lot of fish hanging out there...once in a while you see a ray or some other interesting life swim by...Unfortnately you're right, though, there's not a lot of good snorkelling just off shore, you realy need to go hit the reef...good kayaking in sure though!

Thanks for responding, I have been told of one area to check by Layton which I will do via the Kayak about 1000 yds off shore on the bay side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom