Fin Kicks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue Space

Contributor
Reaction score
As some of you know i'm new to diving do to my many questions on this board. I YET HAVE ANOTHER. I've read many times on this board about divers who cloud everything due to fin techniques. What techniques are out there and how can I learn them (as I am not confident in my instructor) Is there any web sites that show them so I can practice. Also BC is obviously a contributing factor is there any tricks to the trade besides lots of practice and proper weighting. :confused:

Brandon

Thank you Uncle Pug!! It will be interesting to see what kick my instructor uses this weekend at the lake. (2nd ow dive). I will jump in my pool to practice before the dive.

Brandon

frog kick is a good one, also the cave diver (so I'm told) bent knee kick,
a simple one I use is slow steady kicks that if they do cloud the water it's after my buddy and I are long gone

Ya after you and your buddy are long gone I come along and can't see sh**. That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

Short kick, long kick, frog kick, flutter kick, bent knee kick,
side kick any kick just as long as you don't kick my mask off future dive buddy. One more open water and we can get down to business.

Blue space, What shop are you training with? I to am from AZ, and I know of a pretty good instructor from Mesa. If ya don't feel comfortable posting that info you can pm me. What lake you doin your o/w dives at? Powell? Saguaro? Canyon? I've been to all except Canyon and the vis pretty much sux even if you don't stir anything up. So the fin techniques would be a big help. I'm also new with only about 20 dives since O/W. Just finished the pretty worthless AOW. But as my wife (dive buddy) is pregnant my instructor is actually my primary dive buddy so I get the advantage of having him with me alot, pretty good for learning a lil more each time. Maybe we can get together and dive sometime.

Brian

Here is a great website that has some excellent video of different kicks. Techniques covered are frog kicks, modified flutter, helicopter turns and the backwards kick. Click the LOOK link then, select the Training Videos link. There are some other good vids like OOA and valve drills. While you're there, sign the guestbook and give a shout out to SeaJay from this board.

Lowcountry Scuba

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the "plug!" :D

I've worked hard to compile all kinds of things from the Internet that divers can use... You'll notice that I'm a big fan of multimedia, meaning videos, music files, lots of pictures, and all kinds of great stuff.

To be fair, some, but not all of the stuff on there is my own. The videos, for example, are hyperlinked directly to Andrew's site, so that the skill can be properly shown. I am still personally working to look like that. :D

You'll notice that UP's video link and my video link refers to the same videos. I placed a link to the 5thD site as a way to say "thanks" to them for allowing Lowcountry Scuba to show those videos.

The way I see it, the more people who see those, the better off the diving community is, and the more "warm" people are to the DIR movement. Seeing those awe-inspiring divers do those skills, and the obvious advantages that they have... Well, perhaps it will dispel unwarranted rumors and instead help to shed a little light on the GUE movement.

...And wouldn't it be awesome if all divers at least had been introduced to these techniques? Might save a few lives, might save a few coral, might save a lot of psi... Might make everyone's dive better... Might keep the water silt-free... Might... Well, you get the picture.

The biggest advantage I can think of is the safety factor, and the increased enjoyment of the sport.

Notice the link to Scubaboard, too... :D

The videos where very cool its amazing the control those guys have. Jp I'll try not to kick off your mask in Mexico. Hay maybe for fun I'll kick off my instructors mask at Saguaro lake this weekend JK.

Brandon

Back
Top Bottom