Horseshoe verses donut shaped wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eandiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Are there any noticeable buoyancy/trim differences between the two?

Based on double HP 100's in a cave/overhead situation.

The donut shaped wings allow gas to move around the bottom and top of the wing making it a little easier to vent gas in a horizontal or slightly head down trim position.

I don't think there are any major differences between the two styles of wings from a trim standpoint although there may be slightly more buoyancy towards the bottom of the wing with the newer donut design, but it's pretty minor.

Mat.

As I hear, some actually prefer horseshoe vs donut due to easier manipulation of the air bubble, as it cannot travel both ways to left or right side, only up, YMMV.

Either way you choose it, you'll learn it and use it without thinking too much afterwards, not really rocket science. :)

I use a Rec wing for my doubles but a dive buddy swears by donut wings and is getting one for his new set of doubles. I was just curious and thanks for the replies.

I'm not too crazy about the horseshoe wings. In order to vent gas in a horizontal position, you kind of need to do a shoulders-up-then-tilt-left-then-tilt-down kind of movement in order to transfer air to the valve side of the wing. Minor, but slightly annoying.

some people say they prefer horseshoe if they are lopsided, like carrying stages or something, because they can shift the air to a specific side & it'll stay.

i agree it's a tiny pita to have to shift it to vent, though. if i was getting new, i might go doughnut.

doughnuts.....mmmmmm......[homer yummy noise]

To be honest I have never felt lopsided when I use a stage.

I have an Oxycheq donut wing for use with my single AL 80's but in two years I have only used it twice and I don't remember diddly about the trim characteristics.

I just started using a DSS "donut" and couldn't be happier. My personal experience is that the Donut is the only way to go! I have the DSS wing with a Transpac. I was immediately impressed with this combo. I just set it up on a lark, since I was using a complete Dive Rite setup and a complete DSS (with a DSS plate) separately. Anyway, I really can't say enough positive things about the donut. Trim, buoyancy, streamline.....

I DSS plate) Anyway, I really can't say enough positive things about the donut. Trim, buoyancy, streamline.....

If your photo is any indication, it looks like your trim sucks... I guess horseshoe it is!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom