Attaching Bungee to an SK-7 Compass?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drizzt117

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I've been looking at my Suunto SK-7 wrist compass as to how to attach bungee to it to lose the rubber straps. However, I'm not sure how to go about doing it since there doesn't appear to be the same attachment as the computers. Did you guys just put a couple of lengths of bungee through the same hole the rubber strap is through and be done with it. Or is there a way to remove the boot and attach the bungee directly to the compass? Thanks.

Thomas

drizzt117 once bubbled...
Hey Everyone,

I've been looking at my Suunto SK-7 wrist compass as to how to attach bungee to it to lose the rubber straps. However, I'm not sure how to go about doing it since there doesn't appear to be the same attachment as the computers. Did you guys just put a couple of lengths of bungee through the same hole the rubber strap is through and be done with it. Or is there a way to remove the boot and attach the bungee directly to the compass? Thanks.

Thomas
..in the same place as the rubber strap was. If nobody else comes along with a good picture for you, I will take one of my compass rigging and post it...

The rubber band slides out easily enough. Replace with two loops of bungee. Check out this thread for some useful knots.

I bought some bungee, and it looks way too small/thin/narrow (from what I've been able to see in all the pics).

I want it for tying off a snap to my back up light, tying off the snap to my long hose, tying off a snap to my whistle, dive alert, etc. for the pocket contents, snap to my inbound SPG etc.

What size (NOT in mm :) ) should I be using?

Thanks -

PS: what is cave line? Bungee or cave line for the above? I'm so clueless with the rigging... :confused:

k

Mo2vation once bubbled...
I bought some bungee, and it looks way too small/thin/narrow (from what I've been able to see in all the pics).
I want it for tying off a snap to my back up light, tying off the snap to my long hose, tying off a snap to my whistle, dive alert, etc. for the pocket contents, snap to my inbound SPG etc.
What size (NOT in mm :) ) should I be using?
Thanks -
PS: what is cave line? Bungee or cave line for the above? I'm so clueless with the rigging... :confused:
k

You are talking about cave line for the above which is braided (not twisted) nylon line.

Bungee size for the compass/BT strap should be 1/8" or 3mm. Best place I've found is Reef Scuba:

http://www.reefscuba.com/bungee.htm

For cave line try Memphis Net & Twine

http://www.memphisnet.net/

Dave D

dmdalton once bubbled...

You are talking about cave line for the above which is braided (not twisted) nylon line.

Bungee size for the compass/BT strap should be 1/8" or 3mm. Best place I've found is Reef Scuba:

http://www.reefscuba.com/bungee.htm

For cave line try Memphis Net & Twine

http://www.memphisnet.net/

Dave D
I have one of those mammoth 800' spools of #24 cave line I bought from Reef Scuba last year and I will NEVER use all of it...well, unless GI3 and JJ let me do some exploration at Wakulla..

O-ring once bubbled...

I have one of those mammoth 800' spools of #24 cave line I bought from Reef Scuba last year and I will NEVER use all of it...well, unless GI3 and JJ let me do some exploration at Wakulla..

We all have our "white elephants". Mine is a 1000' spool of 1/8" nylon rope that I paid $50 for. Well, after you get cave trained we can put it in as a permanent line in that place I told you about!:mean:

Dave D

dmdalton once bubbled...

We all have our "white elephants". Mine is a 1000' spool of 1/8" nylon rope that I paid $50 for. Well, after you get cave trained we can put it in as a permanent line in that place I told you about!:mean:

Dave D
Oh yeah...we will definitely do that.. Who knows, maybe we will find some exotic species out there and name some stuff after ourselves...

If these caves are where I think they are I can just see it now...

"This here's the Dave fish..."

"This here's the other Dave fish.."

"And that critter over yonder, well, he's also called the Dave fish..."

Mo2vation wrote...
Use bungee for the pocket contents, your compass, and wrist-mount computer. It might be worth your while to replace the bungee on your inflator hose, too. On mine, the original knot from the manufacturer kept falling apart under stress, so I replaced it using a Zeppelin Bend (see link above). The new knot still shows no signs of slippage.

As Dave and Eric noted, use #24 cave line for the rest.

metridium once bubbled...
Use bungee for the pocket contents, your compass, and wrist-mount computer. It might be worth your while to replace the bungee on your inflator hose, too. On mine, the original knot from the manufacturer kept falling apart under stress, so I replaced it using a Zeppelin Bend (see link above). The new knot still shows no signs of slippage.

As Dave and Eric noted, use #24 cave line for the rest.

Nice knot! I've had good luck with a "double fisherman's" as well when tying bungie.

Dave D

Back
Top Bottom