Backplate Wing vs Traditional BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BNow0707

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Wat are the "functional" differences between the two? Other than the obvious design differences wat is different? What makes one better than the other?

One looks way cooler

Wat are the "functional" differences between the two? Other than the obvious design differences wat is different? What makes one better than the other?

In no particular order:

BP&W

Modular, this allows selecting a plate and wing appropriate to the application, and allows making changes when and if your application changes. Single tanks? Yes Doubles? yes again. Doubles and stages? sure no problem.

Allows easy replacement of any of the components.

Moves 5-6 lbs up off your weight belt and onto your back. This often helps the diver get horizontally trimmed.

The back plate provides a stable platform / interface between the diver and cylinder.

The harness is essentially infinitely adjustable.

No "hug" when inflated.

Often far less expensive than many "full featured" bc's

Crotch Strap allows the BP&W to remain stable, and not ride up at the surface.

Jacket BC.

Non modular, mostly fabric interface between diver and tank, usually no crotch strap, relies on "cumberbund" to try and prevent "ride up" Big Hug when inflated.

Tobin

I usually stay out of BP/ BC debates but for some reason I feel like typing. A good search will turn up a great deal of info but mostly it's BP users spouting the same logic. Most of what they say is true however there is a "yes but" that few ever attach so let me do so. Oh and yes I tried a BP and did not care for it, went back to my old BC.

Modular, this allows selecting a plate and wing appropriate to the application, and allows making changes when and if your application changes. Single tanks? Yes Doubles? yes again. Doubles and stages? sure no problem.

True but what you will find if you talk with BP users, they often own mulitple BP/wings set up for the vaious configs rather than changing between configs. The defeats the "buy only one' comment often made. At the price of wings, you can easily buy an inexpensive travel BC and a BP for doubles.

Allows easy replacement of any of the components.

Again, true but just how often do you actally replace a worn out BC? In addition there are BCs that allow you to change out components. Zeagle for one.

Moves 5-6 lbs up off your weight belt and onto your back. This often helps the diver get horizontally trimmed.

Or 3 lbs with an AL BP, many (most ?) BCs have trim pockets that allow the same thing....and your not stuck with one amount. Diving warm wet a SS BP will over weight me..actually an AL will also.

The back plate provides a stable platform / interface between the diver and cylinder.

This one I will agree with but for single tanks it not really that much of a big deal.

The harness is essentially infinitely adjustable.

So what? Most modern BCs have a fairly wide adjustment range. Unless I am loaning it to both kids and football players, why does it need to be "infinitely adjustable"? It's my BC, I dive it and rarely loan it out. When I do, I can adjust my BC very quickly, BPs take some effort to adjust and must be removed to do so. BPs are infinitely adjustable and also a real pain if you do.

No "hug" when inflated.

This assumes you are diving a jacket style BC, all back inflates (of which BPs are a subset) do not hug when inflated.

Often far less expensive than many "full featured" bc's

If you compair a BP to the "tech" bcs then this a fair statement, however many of us don't use or want one of the "tech" BCs...frankly if I was doing tech I would want a BP. If however, you compair features to features the the BP is on par and often more expensive than many BC's, esp if you use a SS back plate. Do a quick scan of Scubatoys and add up to cost. Be sure to include the cost of tank bands and pockets and weight belts and a STA if needed. Compair Halcyon equipment and the BP does not come close.

Crotch Strap allows the BP&W to remain stable, and not ride up at the surface.

And a crotch strap does the same thing on any BC....which is why my BC has one.

I don't dislike BPs, they are great pieces of equipment and if diving doubles they are by far the better choice. For single tank diving they will also so a fine job but a quality back inflate BC will do the job just as well plus add some creature comforts that many of us like. Quick easy adjustments, intergrated weights and a pocket or 2 for are really nice features I like on a BC...none of which a BP offer.

There are no "functional differences".

The sole "function" of each is to provide the diver with a means by which s/he can establish neutral buoyancy under water by taking air from a cylinder and inflating a bladder of some sort in order to achieve that goal.

Now, when it comes to the matter of design and construction, well . . . that's a WHOOOLLLLLEEEE nuther thang . . . !!!

the K

Thanks for all the "real responses"

As for the others i'm not trying to start a debate or care if you think i shoulda called NASA to do a search, but if you didnt want to answer my question then why even open the post just move on and go about your busy lives.

I have just noticed that alot of the more experienced divers around my local watering hole are using B/P W setups and in my OW class they really didn't mention a whole lot about them either. But thank you for those who took time to answer the question and not just gripe.

Thanks for all the "real responses"

You are welcome.

As for the others i'm not trying to start a debate or care if you think i shoulda called NASA to do a search, but if you didnt want to answer my question then why even open the post just move on and go about your busy lives.

I have to agree. I'm always a bit disappointed when I see the "do a search" posts. They are almost always in response to a new diver's query. Often the search function either does not yield the information needed, or the new diver does not know enough about the subject to be able to search effectively.

Providing links to couple relevant threads as a starting point is a far better alternative in IMO.

Are the questioned asked here on SB sometimes repetitious? Of course. Have most topics been debated, often to death, before? Of course. That does not justify dismissing new arrivals here with a "do a search" response?

I have just noticed that alot of the more experienced divers around my local watering hole are using B/P W setups

I'd suggest approaching these folks. I'm sure many will be happy to talk to you about their gear choices.

Tobin

I disagree about the stability not being a big deal with single tanks. For me, this was the single biggest joy of switching, was that the tank no longer moved around on my back. It really made diving so much more comfortable.

One plus to the BP/W is travel. If you are diving a BP/W then both the wing and the plate will pack much flatter, and if your diving an AL plate it will likely be much lighter as well.

I'm not going to get in the one is better than the other mentiality - but to me the above is a big plus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom