Divemaster Course - anything to watch out for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Louie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello everyone,

I am finally about to embark on the PADI DM course in a couple weeks time.

For those of you who've been there, was there any one (or two or three) significant thing you wished you'd been more prepared about? Any tips or potential snags on the course you can share with us?

I've been told to read some of the literature in advance so I'll do that on the long plane ride between London and Australia.

I really don't know what to expect of the course because depending on who you ask, they'll say it was either a great laugh or it was really tough.

Thank you in advance

It was definitely not a great laugh.

It is a tough course and unless done in the right way, you'll find yourself spending a lot of money for close to nothing.

Out of experience, make sure the demo part (you need to be able to demonstrate all 12 basic exercises for open water in a professional way close to instructor's level) is not underestimated; the theory is almost a joke if you are accustomed to study, but from being a good diver to being a pro there is a huge difference and I was unlucky enough to find someone who did a good job with the theory but almost no teaching on how to demonstrate.

I'm still paying now, in a way I didn't expect, especially considering the money spent for the course.

One gut feeling: when papers were sent out, I felt I wasn't ready, my instructor told me I simply felt insecure.

One year later, and still not up to the task, I'm very sad to say I was right, he wasn't.

Louie once bubbled...
Hello everyone,

I am finally about to embark on the PADI DM course in a couple weeks time.

For those of you who've been there, was there any one (or two or three) significant thing you wished you'd been more prepared about? Any tips or potential snags on the course you can share with us?

I've been told to read some of the literature in advance so I'll do that on the long plane ride between London and Australia.

I really don't know what to expect of the course because depending on who you ask, they'll say it was either a great laugh or it was really tough.

Thank you in advance

Do it slowly. I've heard that there are like 10 day crash courses. You can probably learn the theory in that much time but some of the other material takes a while to sink in.

Secondly if you're short on time then study harder. It sounds paradoxical but if you don't have time to do it right you don't have time to do it twice.

Although time consuming the challenge in the DM course is not the theory. You probably know a lot of the theory already. I did the knowledge-workbook "cold" before reading any of the theory. That gives you a baseline and shows you where your weak spots are so you can manage your study time more efficiently. (at least this works for me :) ) And I'd suggest getting the knowledge workbook on CD.

If you haven't seen the instructors doing the skills under water yet then you should probably tag along on a pool dive to watch before you make your final decision to take the course there..... You'll need to approach this tactfully but you really should know if they're any good at the demos.....because.....If *their* demo's aren't good *your* demos won't be good either. (and Chiara, I'm curious to see your list of skills. As far as I know there are 19 basic skills that you need to demonstrate).

And take care of your health and get lots of rest during the course. The *last* thing you need in the middle of the DM course is a cold!

As for the fun/tough question, it's both. It depends on you. I thought the equipment swap was fun but you might not.... In any case it's a lot of work which can make it seem heavy at times. On the whole I wouldn't describe it as "fun" or as "tough". I'd use the words "challenging" and "gratifying". But that's me.

R..

Mine has been both fun and challenging.

How do you do all the required internships in 10 days?

My skills list is 18. (Just looked)

Scuba unit exchange while buddy breathing was challenging but fun. TM and I did well. I was only left once thinking "air would be nice!"

Scuba unit ditch and don was much easier than snorkle ditch and don. Think it through carefully . Make it easy on yourself where you can.

Practice for your swims. Get in shape.

Best wishes,

TwoBit

Diver0001 once bubbled...

(and Chiara, I'm curious to see your list of skills. As far as I know there are 19 basic skills that you need to demonstrate).

Was it a typo or lack of knowledge?

Hard to say :)

Louie once bubbled...

Thank you in advance

Beware of sharks...and other uninvited sea creatures....

Other than that...brush up on basic skills...know them inside and out...the instructor can throw almost anything they want at you....your going for a DM cert...not just another card.

Attitude is a large part of being a good DM. You need to learn how to relate to non-divers, novices, and accomplished professionals. You need to develop a repore with the instructor so you know what he/she will do before they do it.

The skills demonstrations are not hard, just exacting if done correctly. Again, a big part is attitude and mind frame.

Good luck,

MD

:teach:
remember the skills are demonstration. it's expected that you will already know how to do them, so don't rush through them when your turn comes up. you want to show that you can teach a novice/beginner how it should look and be performed.

previous poster is correct regarding attitude. projecting professionalism while dealing with a "toes in the sand" job is a good thing.

In a general way I feel there are three basic reasons:

(1) You want to improve your basic diving skills and knowledge, and this is a logical step.

(2) This is just a step in becoming an instructor.

(3) You want to work as a DM/mate on a dive boat, and may or may not want to be an instructor.

If you have an instructor that has never worked a boat, you'll have to worry about the rigor demanded in demo quality basic skills, and get no rigorous briefing or rescue knowledge.....not good if you want to work a boat.

If you get an instructor who has worked a boat a lot, you'll get virtually no training in demo skills and the first time you assist an instructor with a class, he'll wonder what the heck your doing to his or her students. You'll also feel like your taking an "advanced rescue" course.

If you get an instructor that is all wrapped up in the "diving professional" routine, you'll wonder why nothing is truly important in the course except the party line about professionalism and passing......skills can be average, rescue abilities can be demonstrated on a test, and the folks that work the boats worry about the customers more than assisting the Instructor (besides, if they were good they'd be instructors).

It's been said many times... the instructor is everything. They will determine what is hard or easy, important or unimportant, rigorous physically or a piece of cake. The basics of the course are set by standards to be taught, and at the most fundamental level are not especially demanding. How they are taught is a function of the instructor.

I hope you have chosen an instuctor for the course that gets you what you want.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom