Key Largo trip report Mar 30 - Apr 2 with photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrex

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I did 4 days of diving March 30 – April 2 in Key Largo with a combination of Blue Water Divers, Larry Gates and Ocean Divers.

Bluewater Divers – Sunday I dove with Brent and Glen of Bluewater Divers. Since I was solo I elected to pay the extra $50 for a private guide, which was Brent. This was a good decision. Brent guided me well around the Benwood wreck and French Reef. Dives averaged 55 minutes. Brent and Glen run a good operation. They have a 30-foot boat taking out no more than 10 divers, but we only had 6 the day I dived. It’s a professional operation with good safety and dive briefings but in a causal atmosphere. This is more like diving with your buddies off a private boat than a commercial operation, but in a good way. I would definitely recommend these guys particularly for anyone wanting a small operation with limited divers.

Larry Gates – I used Larry Gates the next three days as a private instructor for my PADI Digital UW Photo and Nitrox certs. Larry has been diving for 40 years, the last 14 in Key Largo. He is a lot of fun to be around and a good instructor. I’m still just a new diver and new UW photographer and he definitely helped me. He got me comfortable using manual settings for both my camera and strobe, and continually coached me to get closer and level or below my subject. I have a long way to go with my photos but Larry helped jump-start me in the right direction. Our first day we were blown out of the ocean by choppy seas and elected to drive up to the Emerald Lagoon just to practice. That’s where the Jules Verne underwater room is. Since no one was staying in the room we got to pop our heads into the air chamber entrance. Viz was more like I’m used to in California than the tropics, 15 feet with green water. But it was worth it just to get wet and practice on my photos. The next two mornings Larry and I reviewed each other’s photos and he gave me lots of tips before we did the afternoon dives out on the shallow reefs. We dove Molasses Reef and French Reef, with dives between 45 – 60 minutes. Viz was 50-70 and water temps around 77. On Molasses Reef I saw my first real shark (not just a Nurse Shark), a Caribbean Reef Shark cruised within about 15 feet of us – and that was on my100th dive, a nice way to remember it! Larry uses Ocean Divers for his trips. I would definitely recommend Larry for anyone wanting an instructor or private guide.

Ocean Divers – I was pleased with Ocean Divers. They run two 48 feet Newton boats. Some call them cattle boats but the two days I went out there were only 7 and 11 divers so there was lots of room on the boat. The staff was helpful with good briefings. The good thing about Ocean Divers is they will go out if only 2 divers are signed up and they go out in seas when many of the smaller boats won’t. I would recommend them for anyone wanting a larger boat.

The Suites of Key Largo – Even though I was alone I indulged myself in the roomy Suites of Key Largo since I wanted a kitchen. These units are not luxury but are nice, clean and very roomy. All the units are two level townhouse style. The first level (above covered parking) has living room with sofa sleeper, bath with shower, full kitchen and screened balcony facing the canal. Upstairs was a queen bed and full bath with tub/shower. Maid service was every other day. These would be good for a family or even two buddies who want their space. The kitchen was nice for breakfast and storing drinks and snacks.

Food – The best dinner I had was at the Bayside Grille (MM 99.5), good food and nice atmosphere watching the sun set over the bay. They had live music. Other nights I ate at The Galley, right next door to Ocean Divers, and Coconuts, at the Marina del Mar. Both of these had good food, a pleasant atmosphere along the canal, lively bars and live music. One night I ate at the Fish House (MM 102.4). This place was packed and is a Key Largo institution but I thought the food was just average. I had a very nice lunch at the Key Largo Conch House (MM 100.2).

This part of Key Largo is very convenient, four hotels right on the canal with lots of dive operations and several restaurant choices. The nights I ate at the Galley and Coconuts I walked from my hotel along the canal.

One thing about diving in Key Largo, unless you dive the deeper wrecks the reefs are very shallow. During my 6 reef dives, all between 45 – 60 minutes, I only did 14 minutes below 35 feet. Even with 50 – 70 feet viz you don’t get the perspective of being in the open ocean the same as you do on deeper sites. I missed not having any 70-foot descents slowly taking in the vastness of the ocean around me.

French Angelfish - saw these on most dives, this one let me take about 15 photos
IMG_2236-French_Angelfish.jpg

Queen Angelfish - only saw a couple of these and they were shy
IMG_1877-Queen_Angel.jpg

Gray Angelfish - this was the only one I saw
IMG_2285_Gray_Angel.jpg

Porkfish - saw lots of these all over the reefs
Porkfish3.jpg

Spotfin Butterflyfish - these were hard to catch, they moved around fast
IMG_2366-Spot_Fin_Butterfly.jpg

Trumpetfish - saw one or two of these most dives
IMG_2369-Trumpet.jpg

Barracuda - saw lots of these under the ledges
IMG_2343-Barracuda.jpg

Southern Stingray - this one just came in for a landing in the sand
IMG_2229-Stingray.jpg

Southern Stingray again - he's bugged at me and ready to leave, he let me get about 3 feet away
IMG_2230-Stingray.jpg

Caribbean Reef Shark - my first real shark sighting and on my 100th dive!
IMG_2144-tiff-manual_levels_2_small.jpg

Larry Gates - my instructor trying to get a photo of the passing barracuda
IMG_2356-2-Larry-_jpg_small.jpg

Julve Verne Underwater Lodge - popped our heads into the air chamber entrance
12_8-Picture_081-Jules_Verne_room1.jpg

Sleeping area through doors on right, bath and shower straight ahead, living area on the left
13_0-Picture_078-Jules_Verne_Room2.jpg

Excellent pics. I'm taking my wife down there in May and I think I am going to hit those exact same reefs. Thanks for showing those. I was undecided where to take her.

Congrats on dive #100, it looks like you had a great time on your trip. :)

Related to the shallowness of the reefs, all those reefs have a drop off area (sometimes marketed as a "wall") that slopes from ~50' out to about a 100'. These are done as drift dives most of the time and are where you're most likely to have the big animal encounters.

Thanks for the report and great pix. The timing is perfect - I'm going down next week and now I'm really getting stoked. I'm actually looking forward to some easy shallow reef diving for the first couple days - it'll be my first OW dives in my new rig and give me a chance to get it dialed in before hitting the Spiegel Grove. Plus, I get to do my DMC OW internship (I'm going down with an instructor and some students from my shop).

Thnx for the report

Those were all really outstanding pics. Thanks for posting!!! I'm been considering heading back down that way soon, and with your report, I think you helped make up my mind. :D

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom