Raja Ampat best time to go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laine

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi divers,

I hope to go to Raja Ampat (looking at the new Peter Hughes Liveaboard) in 2010. What is the best time of year to dive this specific location of Indonesia. Fall or early March works best for my schedule, but if time of year matters I want to get it right.

Thanks,
Laine

Well, I just had a Canadian couple dive with me in Lembeh last month (March). They had come from Raja and said it was spectacular--not a whole lot of "big" stuff though.

Another couple from Sweden also stayed with me 10 days ago and were headed directly to Raja--they promised to send me an e-mail later...I believe both couples were at "KRI" Resort (land based)

Overall--a great experience they said..I will definitely be going at some point.
Enjoy!

Here is a generalization about Indonesian weather...

Dry season: May-September
Transition: October-November
Wet season: December-March

The dry season is also a bit cooler with more wind in places. The wet season in some areas might mean "showers", in other areas a full-on monsoon rain. And this whole scenario varies from west to east in the counry. Some people say that "generally" the weather in April/May and October/November is better than other periods ... not too wet, not too windy.

Indeed, that USED to be a pretty reliable/predictable pattern, however, in the past 10 days in Lembeh/Manado we've had MORE rain than ALL of March put together!!

So although April can be a "borderline" time in terms of rainy/dry season, if this pattern continues for the rest of the month (and into May), then I'd say "almost anything's possible"..

As for Raja specifically, the Canadian couple said it was dry (they went in March), and as of now I haven't heard from my Swedish divers yet (they went in early April).

It wouldn't hurt to e-mail the operator/Resort directly to ask..
Enjoy!
HB

If I am not mistaken, weather patterns are typically reversed for Raja Empat (and Maluku for that matter) compared to the rest of Indonesia; so it is meant to be the dry season when it rains elsewhere.

Thanks all,

I will keep researching also. If you hear more from others let me know.

Laine

highdesert, thanks. That site has maps & tons of info which is helping me to sort out Indonesia. There are a tons of places & the names are different than I'm used to so this really helps. Thanks again.

Just got back from Raja Ampat, April 4-16. It was mostly dry. Off the top of my head we had maybe 2 rainy days and even then it didn't rain the whole day.

highdesert, thanks. That site has maps & tons of info which is helping me to sort out Indonesia. There are a tons of places & the names are different than I'm used to so this really helps. Thanks again.

No problem ... I thought it was a helpful site when I found it. Here's another one that I've gotten good info from ...

Diving in Indonesia - Pages in English from the Bodeweb

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom