GUE requiring DIR-F as of June 1st

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bishop

Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't know this as that I hadn't seen an annoucement anywhere, but people are telling me this. Has anyone seen an defacto statement from GUE concerning this?

I read on Quest that DIRf will be pass/fail starting June 1st. I wonder what this means for people, like myself, that took DIRf recently. Will I get some card?

Interesting. I heard some kind of change was comming. From what I was told there has been some unrest (for lack of a better term) in the GUE ranks because divers having taken DIRF were not prepared when entering other GUE courses. Since the class was not pass/fail there was no REQUIREMENT that the student meet any performance requirements therefore no garantee of proficiency. TRight or wrong this is just what I have been told

So how will this affect the way DIRF is taught? As one of the training directors noted, it's [currently] not a pass/fail class because GUE realizes students cannot effectively master the skills in a single weekend.

Then there's the issue of current scope vs. proposed scope. Will they rein in the topics covered? E.g. some classes have liftbag work; others don't because of time restraints, either internally- or externally imposed.

Will the length of the class be extended?

It sounds like they will now need a fundamentals class for the fundamentals class.

IMO, part of teaching a class is teaching the skills that are required for that class. I had some interest in taking a dir-f at some point to see what it was all about and "find out what I didn't know", but I would not remotely consider it under these circumstances. Not that that matters to anyone, just MO.

MD

Not sure how the class will/could change. I do know that is was a lot of info thrown at us in 3 days. The skills, lecture, video. In reality, it is 2 1/2 days of lecture/diving. To make it P/F, maybe it should go to three days or change the way the class is taught. Ideas?? Thoughts?

Eric

I took a DIR-F class and it was right after I was certified (8 dives). I probably would have 'failed' it but I was able to take what was taught and practice, practice, practice. Now, after 6 months I think I _might_ have a shot. I guess, under the new requirements, I'd have to spend the money ($300 now) all over again just to get a card.

What happens when one fails a Fundamentals class that was designed to expose a student to new ideas?

I signed up knowing that I would learn a lot and probably not do very well over the weekend, but that wasn't why I took it. I guess people need to start practicing for a course that was designed to be practice for the real thing (Cave I, Tech I).

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom