Dahab vs. Eilat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

advanwoerden

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and want some input for my plans to visit Israel in the end of May. We are flying into Tel Aviv and staying for a few days, but then want to go to the Red Sea for about 4 days. Im a certified Open Water Diver with about 20 dives, and was certified in Dahab. I've never been to Eilat though, so I was wondering:

1. Whether Dahab or Eilat is cheaper to dive as well as eat/sleep
2. Whether either has better diving in any aspect
3. If I decide to go to Dahab, whether it is cheaper/easier to fly or rent a car (last time we rented a car, so I know all about border crossing issues).

Thank you all, and I look forward to reading your replies.

Some answers...

1. It depends. If you have your own gear, then diving in Eilat will cost you only the rental of tanks, air refills and whatever piece of equipment you need to rent. In this aspect Eilat may be cheaper.

However, if you want to dive with a guide, then probably it sums up to similar prices as in Dahab.

2. Not really, other than the fact that "guided dives" is not obligatory- you can buddy up with someone and jump in the water. In any other aspects Dahab sites are by far better than Eilat.

3. Don't think you can fly to Dahab anywhere from Israel. I am not even sure if there are any flights from Tel Aviv to Cairo or Sharm at all. Probably your best chance is to cross the border at Eilat-Taba and either use bus/taxi/rented car to Dahab. I have no clue about the prices, though.

My opinion? For something like 4 days I'd go to Dahab without any doubts. If you have only a weekend- go for Eilat&Taba or Aqaba (Jordan :wink: ).

Thanks for your response. When you said guided dives are not obligatory, did you mean in Dahab or Eilat? Unfortunately I am the only diver going on the trip, so I wouldn't have a buddy to pair up with. Also, I only have a mask, fins, and 3mm wetsuit, so I'd need a bcd/regulator and weights. Any idea how long a drive from Tel Aviv to Dahab would be? It's been too long to remember. Thanks again!

In Eilat you don't have obligatory guided dives.

Tel Aviv-Eilat will take about 4-4.5 hours. Crossing the border may take about 1 hour. Then you have an additional 3 hours to Dahab. Perhaps a bit less. And add some slack time for bus waiting, taxi fetching, or car renting and related paperwork. It sums up to a l-o-n-g day that will exhaust you. That's why it is not recommended for short staying.

Aqaba is a better option for shorter periods... And Eilat of course.

1. Dahab is by FAR the better diving spot. However, Eilat is still gorgeous.

2. Tel-Aviv to Eilat is about 3.5 hours by car, or 4.5 hours by the bus from the central station. Altenatively, you can get flights from Tel-Aviv's 'Sdeh Dov' airport to Eilat that take slightly under an hour (but don't forget NOT to fly back on the day of your last dive) -- We took a flight out and a bus ride back.

3. Right now, Israel is warning people NOT to cross into Egypt, as the risk of terror attacks there is high (related to Gaza/Egypt border being porous). If you do plan on going, stay on a boat, not at a hotel. When I went last month, very few dive shops in Eilat were running trips to Sharm-El-Sheik... so I guess most people are not going.

4. I noticed you said 'around 20 dives'. In Israel, most shops will NOT rent you gear unless you're with an instructor until you can demonstrate a minimum of 20 logged dives (israeli law). Additionally, no instructor will take you deeper than 20m (60ft) unless you're an 'advanced open water' diver. Finally, in order to rent any gear you have to show proof of diving insurance (DAN or whatnot -- you can get it on the spot). Then again, in 4 days of diving, you can just get your A.O.W. cert and enjoy a lot of fun diving. Egypt is a lot more lax...

Yea it sounds like Dahab it is. I dont have insurance, and I lost my dive log 2 dive trips ago, so it doesn't look like I'll be able to go without a guide. Do you know about how much the flight from Tel Aviv to Eilat costs? And does anyone know for sure if there are any flights from Tel Aviv to Sharm?

TLV-Eilat-TLV will cost around $200 +/-.
No flights from TLV to Sharem, but there is a daily service To Cairo (takes a bit less than 2 hours).
If you have 4 days and can not proof over 20 dives or a logged dive in the last 6 months, do the insurance, check dive, spend 2 days in Eilat and than cross to Aquaba do a day diving + your last day to Petra so you ill be able to fly back to Tel Aviv ----- Have fun :)

In December I flew from Tel Aviv to Eilat for about $140 r/t.

As of a few months ago, Air Sinai supposedly flew from Tel Aviv to Sharm. The only way I could find the flight was on the Ben Gurion Airport website.

Getting from Taba to Dahab can be a hassle. The bus is cheapest. If you prefer a taxi, the price goes up and down depending on whether the bus schedule. The first time can be a chaotic, confusing experience if you don't know what you're doing. On my first trip I grouped up with a few strangers. Both were determined to haggle down to the penny. That added a good 30 minutes

Most of the diving in Eilat is shallow. You can see some real colorful reefs. Dahab isn't necessarily more colorful, but the topography has more variety. I would recommend hiring your own guide instead of group diving. It may be more expensive, but you can see more when you aren't playing "follow the leader."

Do heed the safety warnings about Sinai. If you want to see some unbelievable dives, consider a liveaboard out of Sharm. That will get you into the world-class sites before the day boats arrive. Highly recommended!

I would recommend hiring your own guide instead of group diving. It may be more expensive, but you can see more when you aren't playing "follow the leader."

Agree, although it's not more expensive if you're dealing with a reputable dive center. Hiring a private guide is almost the same price as diving with a good dive center.

Back
Top Bottom