Scubapro Balance BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbriskin

Registered
Reaction score
:crafty:I tried one of these in a local dive shop and it seemed to fit well, had the features I was looking for.
Can anyone give opionions on this BCD.
I was looking to try to Zeagle stiletto or ranger as it is highly rated on leisureworld, but no local diveshops have them.

Any help is appreciated

Shortly after starting my OW class I bought the Balance and I don't regret it at all. It works well with a wetsuit and a drysuit (enough wing lift) and aluminum or steel tanks. The pocket is useable, the trim pockets are very effective and the integrated weight pockets work very well. (I especially like the ability to come out of the water on a shore dive and easily dump the weights which makes the walk up the beach in drysuit and steel tank MUCH less stressful.) Since it is a back-inflate BC, it trims out just as nicely as BP/W (which is the "gold standard" according to many!).

The only downside I have is that it is about 3 pounds positive so you'll need 3 pounds of weight just to sink it (but my guess is that is on the low end of "integrated BC's").

That written, I now use my Balance only as a pool BC when working with classes. Otherwise I use a BP/W which I went to when I decided to try scootering (needed a crotch strap) and after I went to a Salvo 21w Can light (which won't fit on an integrated BC). Of course now that I do 1/2 my dives in doubles.....

BTW, I saw a posting by Phil Ellis on another board (but he is also here on SB) for a new stainless steel backplate plus harness (and shipping) for only $130. Add a wing and you may have a very good (and cheaper) alternative.

I also have a balance and have found it to be a very comfortable useful BCD. I have used it in warm water with a 3mm wetsuit and also in cold water with a 7mm farmer john wetsuit and the BC's ability to hold 30 pounds of weight has been sufficient for me. As mentioned above, it is easy to adjust you trim with the BC and the integrated weight system works well.

If you are interested in a more simplified setup, check out the BP/W options as they will allow you to have a more "minimalistic" setup.

:crafty:I tried one of these in a local dive shop and it seemed to fit well, had the features I was looking for.
Can anyone give opionions on this BCD.
I was looking to try to Zeagle stiletto or ranger as it is highly rated on leisureworld, but no local diveshops have them.

Any help is appreciated

Do you mean a "Seaquest" Balance? If so, I have had my balance for almost ten years and 500+ dives. I have NEVER had ANY problems with it.I love mine!

I also have a Sequest Balance, LOVE IT. I would get another one, but the LDS that I work at does not carry Seaquest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom