Sudan - advice on packing and preparation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liberty01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Finally booked the 2-week-trip on the Royal Emperor comprising both Suakin and the North up to Angarosh (May 24 to June 7).
It is my first liveaboard in the Red Sea (and with my own gear).
What to bring in terms of spare parts? Safety sausage necessary?
How about moskitoes on the boats? Yellow fever vaccination and malaria pills for prevention required?
Any special requirements for diving when there is a tiger shark around?
All advice will be appreciated

Cheers,
Liberty

On the boat there will be no mossies and therefore no malaria. According to the internet the north east where you would be has one of the lowest incidence of malaria in the Sudan. As Yellow Fever is transmitted by mosquitoes and there have been outbreaks in the Sudan recently an innoculation is worthwhile I suppose.

Have lived in Africa for many years and only in areas where Malaria was serious did I take profilactics. I haven't had a yellow fever jab for years.

Hope this is useful

Who did you book through? They will have all the details regarding the current status on vaccinations. Personally, I never take anything extra for Sudan, as there's a very slim risk for malaria in the Port Sudan area, and it is regarded as a 'non infected' area for yellow fever. Normally you will receive a certificate of the later in sudanese customs for your entry back into Egypt, which formally demand proof of yellow fever vaccination for entrants from Sudan.
Bring a sausage. It is always a good idea on any trip. Bring some antibiotic ear drops, as two weeks diving can be a lot of stress on the ear and infections are not unusual. Some penicillin is also a good idea just in case, and medicine is not easily obtainable in Sudan and the stock on boats are finite.

Good luck and hope you get to see a tiger shark. There where quite some sightings last year, but it has not been that common.

Christian

Thank you.
I am not too keen on seeing a tiger shark. Are they aggressive?
Ear drops are a good idea.
How about meningococcal vaccination?
I hope to see hammerheads (looking down from 40-45m).
Cheers, Liberty

I wouldn't worry too much about tiger sharks. They can be big and should of course, as any shark, be treated with respect. But they are normally not aggressive. And frankly, chances too see one are slim. I would worry a lot more about female titan trigger fish guarding their nest. They WILL attack if you come to close and they can give you quite nasty bites.

good luck

/c

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom