Warning Key West Dive Operator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just to drop a note about Subtropic Dive Center in Key West, Florida.
Yes, these are facts.
Captain runs Island Diver aground at Rock Key Reef in Key West, Florida.
Damage done to reef is extensive.
8 foot by 5 foot section of hard coral is gone.
Other parts of reef also damaged.
Boat Sinks.
Local Salvage operator assists in 14+ Hour float/tow back to dock.
Boat considered total loss.
Owner collects check from Insurance.
Owner of Subtropic decides not to pay salvage operator.
Only one has one boat operational.
Operator fills boat to max capacity.
Smaller boat breaks down numerous times due to operator error.

These are facts. Not opinions. If you think these are accusations aimed at smearing this operator, ask them about these issues and see for yourself.

You have been warned.:

Welcome and probably goodbye on the same day

I am always leery, as I'm sure most of you are, about one post wonders that post this type of scathing report.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I've sent the dive operator an email inviting them to respond.

Lets please remember to keep it nice!

Welcome bluebluewater. I hope you'll post an introduction in the Introduction and Greeting Forum

Ummm. So how much was the bill for salvage? :)

Lets set the record with facts!
Yes, a Captain did hit the reef with our boat.
No, a damage estimate has not been calculated, however we have photoed the area and there is minimal damage to any coral.
Yes, the boat sank and has been totalled.
Yes, the salvage company did retrieve the vessel ( a 1983 40' Burpee)
Yes, it took 14 + hours.
NO, WE HAVE NOT REFUSED TO PAY ANYONE. THE INSURANCE COMPANY NOW OWNS THE BOAT AND THEY ARE THE ONES RESPONSIBLE, and are the ones that are refusing to pay salvage for a vessel that does not hold the same value as the bill. I wouldn't spend $100 to retieve a $20 bill from a hole....would you?
Yes, the salvage companies have asked us to help and I have given them up to the minute details of any communication with the insurance company. We however, never agreed to any price for the salvage and will not say that we did so that you can charge the $28,000 for the job. That would be illegal, immoral and just plain lying.
Yes, when the salvage companies arrived, they did their job. The boat however did NOT hold a value of $28,000 once it sank.
Yes, we have had problems with our other Boat. It is 23 years old and its a boat. If boats didn't break down, you would not have a job.
NO, we do not overload our boats. We have a MAX capacity set by the USCG which we have to and do abide by.
Finally, this is not an attack forum. If you would care to discuss this again in person or private, please call me. I am available anytime. 305-296-9914

I don't know - but - I think I agree with owner on this one - I wouldn't bother to spend 28k on a 15k boat either. Of course.. 28k for 14 hours of work... I'm in the wrong line of work.

I'm sure just as with cars - once a "vehicle" is totaled - it is owned by the insurance company, therefore the "towing" company deals with them, not the original owner.

I don't know about laws in Fl, but in some places, various gov't officials would require you to bring the wreck up to preserve a reef, regardless of the cost, especially when fault can be established with the operator. And cost of salvage vs cost of the boat isn't an issue in their eyes.

This isn't the same as totaling a car. Environmental damage may occur from the wreck for years afterward if left in place.

Depending on laws, the dive company (and their insurance company) may not have the option to leave the wreck in place without at least removing all hazardous substances, which may cost even more than raising the wreck.

Well, just because the boat didnt cost $28k didnt mean it doesnt cost that to retrieve it...Im not saying that price doesnt sound inflated, Im not salvage expert but.....If I have a $500 yugo car, and I drive it into a river, and it costs $1000 for Timmys Salvage to dig it out.....should I not pay him because the car was only worth $500?? NO....Your paying for the service, not the boat or car. Again, the price of $28k could be high, I dont know...BUT for insurance not to pay for the salvage because the boat wasnt worth that much is just wrong. Its not the salvage companies fault the boat wasnt worth $28k...if that is what the appropriate charge for such a salvage is, then thats what they should be paid......If that $28k price is inflated, then they should be paid appropriatley.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom