Aladin Air X Nitrox Fiasco !!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

200 Bar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Back in 98 I bought the Aladin Air Nitrox X for quite a few bucks...Anyway the battery is down to 50 % and I use it for deco dives.. The manual says the battery must be installed at the factory..I call ScubaPro to make arrangements to send it in..I was told they can no longer change these batteries as they no longer make this puter...BUT I can purchase the Air Z for 300 bucks with thier upgrade policy...I told him a three hundred dollar battery replacement is pretty hefty for a another puter that does the exact same thing. Anyone here experiance this problem with ScubaPro..

P.S. I know that 50% battery life is still a lot but was also told if the wrist unit is 50% than the transmitter is about gone....;-0

Yup, that is true... bad deal for the consumer, however, if your "puter" is down to 50% you do have a long time left before you need a battery change. You can send in just the transmitter and they CAN change just that battery.

The reason for the upgrade program is to get these older style "puters" off the market. ALL the new ones that they upgrade you to have a LIFETIME battery replacement program... Which means, that the customer will no longer pay for battery changes... :clapping: :clapping:

Makes it worth that $300... Too bad they didnt think of this about five years ago...

Yep your right. See my thread regarding this. Plus what is stopping them from discontinuing the battery for the new one?

Big #$##%#^^ rippoff if you ask me. Yes sure they last along time but why should we have to pay big bucks when the battery dies.

Sorry sir we no longer make Parts for your 1998 Ford so for a nominal fee we will upgrade your car to a 2003 model.

http://www.scubaboard.com/t22252/s.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/t22252/s.html

Chipster, follow Whitney's advice, "crack is whack, y'all"...

I'm not sure where or who you were talking with, but I've found no problem getting ANY of my Uwatec batteries replaced, even today. The old Pro I have from '89, the AirX Nitrox I bought in '97, and even the newer AirZO2 I got 3 years ago. Scubapro replaces the wrist computer battery AND the transmitter both at the same time for the same fee on the older models and the newer Z series is replaced for FREE. I log around 175 dives a year, so I have them replaced more often, but there should be no problem in getting the replacements done. New or used models. Check with who you are dealing with, as there are good LDS out there who don't give you the runaround and bull to try to sell you into another brand. I just called my local dealer and they said all the old and new models were still offered for battery replacements.

I don't prefer the Suunto systems as if you screw up the oring seal or the threads on the cover, your computer is toast. Then you can whine about them not replacing that for free:D Also, the Uwatecs are oil-incased, that's why they need factory replacement. Heard of oil-incasing, it protects the computer better, and guess what, oil is incompressible, that means every descent/ascent doesn't have the impact to deteriorate the motherboard or unit itself. I can only say great things about my Uwatecs, with the 2500+ dives I have on them. Suunto, far too conservative for me.

[I'm not sure where or who you were talking with, but I've found no problem getting ANY of my Uwatec batteries replaced, even today. The old Pro I have from '89, the AirX Nitrox I bought in '97, and even the newer AirZO2 I got 3 years ago. Scubapro replaces the wrist computer battery AND the transmitter both at the same time for the same fee on the older models and the newer Z series is replaced for FREE. I log around 175 dives a year, so I have them replaced more often, but there should be no problem in getting the replacements done. New or used models. Check with who you are dealing with, as there are good LDS out there who don't give you the runaround and bull to try to sell you into another brand. I just called my local dealer and they said all the old and new models were still offered for battery replacements.

When was the last time you had the battery changed on your Air X..?? I have been on the phone with ScubaPro three times and they have no replacements for the Air X..They really dont change the battery on the Air X, they give back a refurbished one and there is no more coming from the Swiss to replace them with.. I just dont wanna pay 300 bucks for a bettery change !!:eek:

UWATEC NO LONGER CHANGES THE BATTERY IN THE AIR X ...

They didnt before this either, they just gave you a new wrist puter...

They don't change the batteries, they just ship out a new unit AFAIK. Since they don't make that model anymore, they can't send you a new one and thus can't "replace" the battery.

The price for the upgrade to a more recent unit seems a bit much, I thought that their policy for a battery replacement/forced upgrade was a reduced price lower than the standard "upgrade" price. Might want to have them re-check the price for that battery replacement forced upgrade.

LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...
UWATEC NO LONGER CHANGES THE BATTERY IN THE AIR X ...

They didnt before this either, they just gave you a new wrist puter...

I have 4 Uwatec Computers
1X Air X Nitrox
2X AirX
1X Nitorx Pro

I had the battery changed in one of the AirX's last week.

Maybe you should get your facts straight.
The transmitters are replaced in whole. the battries are are not replaced in these.

Maybe you should get your facts straight.
The transmitters are replaced in whole. the battries are are not replaced in these. [/B][/QUOTE]

Geez, get your wetsuit out of your crack..My fact are just fine...Again straight from the horses mouth..THERE IS NO NITROX-AIR X to replace it with..The transmitters are the SAME , no prob there...Call ScubaPro yourself and ask like I did before upchucking...1-619-402-1023.......:eek:ut:

I was referring to the post by LUBOLD8431 stating that the batters in the wrist mounted computers where never replaced!!

UWATEC NO LONGER CHANGES THE BATTERY IN THE AIR X ... They didn’t before this either, they just gave you a new wrist puter...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom