Different diving algorithms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan Mell

Registered
Reaction score
hey everyone I am looking to buy a dive computer and just want some opions on different algorithms is one safer than another i am looking at a mares m2 which has a rgbm algorithm and an oceanic versa pro which has a modified haldanean algorithm is one better or safer than the other

None of the computer algorithms are proven to be any safer than any others. I'm sure people will chime in and say that conservative computers are safer, but this is conjecture only. There are no studies that show one computer will be more likely to result in DCS than any other, when used as it is designed to be used, meaning for NDL single tank recreational diving. If there was a study, you can be certain that the "safer" computer manufacturer would let the diving world know loud and clear.

The problem with determining computer safety is that there are many factors that can cause DCS, and there are relatively few cases of DCS in recreational diving. So there are not enough cases to see any sort of trend among computer users. Even if there were more cases, determining the cause of DCS is usually difficult, especially in the absence of any obvious dive behavior that would be a highly suspected cause.

Now "better" is even more subjective than "safer" so you can basically read the opinions and make your choice. I would say that "better" for you is whatever you enjoy diving with the most and feel the most comfortable with.

A point that most people ignore is that the dive computer algorithm only sets the profile of the dive if you are diving to the limits of the model and it is indicating mandatory decompression stops. If you are diving within the limits of both models, then the which model you are using is not relevant.

IMO, it is best for you to set your own proper ascent profile, with the computer being used to give you a general indication of your overall loading.

Were I to be doing a dive with significant decompression where I was going to be following the series of decompression stops calculated by the computer (dive computer or topside PC), then I'd use the RGBM or VPM algorithm. In that sort of dive with significant mandatory decompression, with the stops being set by the algorithm, then the choice of algorithm is important.

In practice, my dives and those of most recreational divers are within the no-stop decompression limits and the computer gives little or no guidance as to the optimal ascent and stops to make if one wishes to add additional margin beyond the model limits. I simply use the N2 bargraph of an ancient Oceanic hocky puck computer to confirm my rough estimate of how heavily loaded I am, and therefore whether my ascent is going to be a short 3 minute one, or whether I'll be doing my more typical 6 to 12 minute ascent and stops.

Charlie Allen

hey everyone I am looking to buy a dive computer and just want some opions on different algorithms is one safer than another i am looking at a mares m2 which has a rgbm algorithm and an oceanic versa pro which has a modified haldanean algorithm is one better or safer than the other

In short both are fine.

They both will provide you with a history of many safe dives. At the recreational NDL limits you are probably diving,,,the 2 will be splitting hairs.

When I do dive planning I many times will compare VPM and Buhlmann profiles. My perls. dive computers are Buhlmann based.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom