Dork diving at its worst (or best depending on your disposition)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

novicediver

Contributor
Reaction score
I am new to the forum, and was not familiar with the term dork diver until fairly recently although the term describes me pretty well. On to my question especially to those of you that are inland. How often do you dive just for the sake of getting wet? Are you perfectly happy going to that lake, pond, quarry, etc knowing that you probably won't see a thing just so you can breathe compressed air and blow bubbles. There are times I am perfectly content diving in a swimming pool just so I can be weightless and play in the water. What about the rest of you?

I am new to the forum, and was not familiar with the term dork diver until fairly recently although the term describes me pretty well.
Glad to have you. Just remember that the whole Dork Diver concept is to be nice to everyone, *especially* when they need to take a chill pill, as it were. Although it's perfectly acceptable to chuckle and point out when a fellow Dork Diver is losing his mellow, it's generally a bad idea to point it out to divers in general. If they aren't DDs, it's likely to make them even more un-mellow. :D (Just figured I'd do my little DD public service announcement, since we're getting lots of new DDs... woo-hoo! :biggrin:)

(Oh, and if you *really* want to say something snide to a non-DD, just PM another DD and have a private chuckle about it. Sometimes you just *have* to. :D)

On to my question especially to those of you that are inland. How often do you dive just for the sake of getting wet? Are you perfectly happy going to that lake, pond, quarry, etc knowing that you probably won't see a thing just so you can breathe compressed air and blow bubbles. There are times I am perfectly content diving in a swimming pool just so I can be weightless and play in the water. What about the rest of you?
Ah, so you aren't just a tropical vacation dork. You sound like you have definite *Hazelnut* tendencies!

Hazelnut: From "hazel", the eye color -- a kind of blueish, brownish, greenish, greyish, *whatever* all-mixed-up color -- and "nut", i.e. a fanatic.​

A Hazelnut is a diver who pretty much likes to dive *anywhere*. It doesn't really matter whether it's a pool, river, lake, quarry, pond, spring, beach, or tropical island, he enjoys diving it. Basically "diving for the sake of diving". Sure, tropical islands are nice, and there's a whole lot more color down there, but following snail trails in the silt at the bottom of a freshwater quarry can be just as fun a dive. Some of my favorite dives to date have been in nondescript quarries in the midwest. :biggrin:

(I really need to finish all the graphics and web design for Hazelnut Scuba, but I've been so preoccupied working up to DM that it's been back-burnered ever so slightly.)

I apologize for being snide but I do tire of the same old net vs LDS arguments so I will try to chill myself.

I apologize for being snide but I do tire of the same old net vs LDS arguments so I will try to chill myself.
Not a problem. I just don't want "Dork Diver" to be taken the way at least one harshmellow often uses it. (He seems to use "dork diver" as a placeholder "insult" whenever he wants to be rude. Guess it counts as being rude in two directions for the price of one. :rofl3:)

Of course, the *best* way to chill is to dive our wonderful local inland waters. :D

Whereabouts are you, by the way? Most people aren't close enough to make for an easy game of ScubUNO, Yacht, or Bubbleship, but without asking, how can I know, eh? :biggrin:

I am in Denver, Colorado. We have Chatfield and Aurora Resevoirs really close (by close I mean within an hour) and Carter Lake which is about 75 min away. I dive maybe 10-15 times a year and have been diving 20 years or so but not all continuous. I hold no advanced certificates (in diving that is but I am a paramedic) and went to Hawaii twice while in high school. The rest of my diving has been local or the sporadic dive in San Diego but only in the last couple years. I really am a hazelnut in that I don't care where I dive as long as I get to dive.

You'll probably find that most of the dork divers here dive just because it's cool and fun to GO diving. We're pretty simple and easy that way.

And some of us (myself, Eckybay, Clayjar, Trucker Girl, ER Paramedic, etc.) are diehard underwater gamers. You haven't lived until you've tried a few hands on Scubuno.

Welcome to the boards!

Most of my diving is done for the sake of getting wet, after all I'm in OHIO :D I still enjoy the same old quarry even after all these years (certified in 1993). Trips are nice and all but the quarry is HOME.

While I'm not the underwater gamer some of the others are I HAVE spent an hour with a group on a platform playing ScubUNO. It was a most enjoyable hour I must say!
Ber :lilbunny:

ScubUNO sounds fun, I may have to see of any of the Rocky Mtn Oysters want to get together to play a game or six.

ScubUNO is definitely fun, but don't forget about all the other games ISOSAD had available. (Go Fish is one of my favorites, just for the entertainment of being able to point to actual fish, and Battleship was excellent.)

I went pool diving last night...

And now for the dork report:

I tried on a neoprene dry suit that was too big. The seals were just a wee bit leaky, but it was only about 5.5 feet and it was just barely leaking so I gave it a go for a bit.

While trying to practice the tucking action to keep from shooting to the surface foot first, I managed to pull my foot out of the boot (remember, the suit was too big- this was just for try-and-see). So, I'm in 5.5 feet of water trying to flip around. I'm 5'8" so there really isn't much room for me to move without clonking my head on the bottom. And, I forgot to take sudafed to manage my cold. So in just 5.5 feet of water, my ears are not equalizing, my head is hitting the bottom and my foot is no longer controlling my fin.

No. I did not get pictures.

So there you have it, scubadork. Some of us dive in pools just to have dork stories. :D

Back
Top Bottom