Halcyon Eclipse vs. DSS Plate w. Mach V vs. ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fq8526

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

I'm heading off to Palau for three weeks in July and have been sold on the idea of dumping my Seaquest Balance for a BP/W setup.

I've been pouring over the threads here and reading up on various topics, but can't quite come to a conclusion as to what setup I should go with. I intend to dedicate this rig as my warm water / travel / 100% singles rig.

I'm relatively dense and can sink with very little weight in a shorty/AL80, so I think I'd like to stick with a steel full size plate instead of a kydex/travel plate, just to ensure I can sink without needing to bother with a belt or weight pockets.

I'm leaning towards using a DSS plate with a Mach V wing and a standard hog harness, sans STA. Does anyone dive this setup? Bad idea to skip the STA? Seems that with the Halcyon setup I'd need the STA would wind up with a heavier setup altogether.

Anything else I should strongly consider?

Thanks,
Todd

Why do you want to avoid the STA?

If you sink with an 80 and presumably a standard BC, why do you think you need a steel plate for warm water? I am a floater. I use Al in the summer with little or no weight and a full 1 mil. Granted I use LP tanks which are neutral when empty.
An aluminum and Kydex plate are both like 1-1 1/2 negative. The wing will be about neutral and the hardware will be negative. Typical BC is usually positive. Somethimes several pounds.

You might be better off starting with an Al or Kydex plate.

I have dived a SS plate and DSS LCD 30 wing, and a weight check says I'm just right, but I add two pounds for comfort. That setup works for me. I don't know about Oxycheq wings on a DSS plate; I have the opposite setup.

The Halycon wing is HUGE and FAT compared to the sevelte Mach V. The Dive Rite STA is not very heavy, I have drilled mine to further reduce weight.

N

Hi All,

I'm heading off to Palau for three weeks in July and have been sold on the idea of dumping my Seaquest Balance for a BP/W setup.

I've been pouring over the threads here and reading up on various topics, but can't quite come to a conclusion as to what setup I should go with. I intend to dedicate this rig as my warm water / travel / 100% singles rig.

I'm relatively dense and can sink with very little weight in a shorty/AL80, so I think I'd like to stick with a steel full size plate instead of a kydex/travel plate, just to ensure I can sink without needing to bother with a belt or weight pockets.

I'm leaning towards using a DSS plate with a Mach V wing and a standard hog harness, sans STA. Does anyone dive this setup? Bad idea to skip the STA? Seems that with the Halcyon setup I'd need the STA would wind up with a heavier setup altogether.

Thanks,
Todd

There are many combinations that you could do that would work out fine. Given what you are looking for though, why not just go with the complete setup from DSS?
The rig with a stainless BP and torus26 wing (very similar to the mach V) is like $465 for everything. A DSS plate with a MAch V wing is going to cost you quite a bit more.
I have Halyon and Oxycheq wings, all of which I really like, but with your requirements the DSS rig seems to have everything you are looking for at a price that you probably couldn't beat by mixing and matching parts (assuming you are not looking at used).
Good Luck.

I opted for no STA at first, but bought one later for ease of gearing up on a boat (read: easier to change tanks). I have a Mach V, and use one anyways. It's great. Dive Rite aluminum plate, and I use 4 lbs in fresh water with a full 3mm and 5mm hood.

STA doesn't weigh much (unless you get a weighted one).

SS will ensure that you sink, but you run the risk of being slightly overweighted. I bought the AL so that I could mix and match, and always add weight if I needed it.

Hi All,

Thanks,
Todd

Call up Tobin and he'll set you up and for the right price.
Of course any of the other choices will work. I guess it gets down to price.
All of them are close and of excellent quality, and after this purchase you can customize, we all do I think. By the way, nothing wrong with having a STA. It's not that big a deal, setup ease wise.

All the best,
Geoff

Mach V and DiveRite (or Oxy) plate with Diverite single piece STA (or not as you prefer).

N

Sorry if I mispoke -- I don't necessarily prefer to not have an STA (I've never used/not-used so don't have much basis) but from what I've read about the Mach V and DSS wings, they say "no STA needed, wing features roll control, etc." I just figured I'd be pushing overweighted with the SS plate alone, why add on the STA, especially since I'm going to be traveling with this.

It seems though that the STA provides more than just tank stability, so maybe I should reconsider.

Nemrod - out of curiosity, how come you recommend Oxy Wing/Plate but DR STA, instead of sticking with the oxy one piece STA?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom