Basic wrist mount backup computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highdesert

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We're in the market for backup computers. Our thoughts ...

- Wrist mount first choice or "puck" to go in console w/ backup SPG
- Not AI, got that already on our console computers
- Air & nitrox capable
- Ease of operation and programming ... this is a backup; no bells and whistles required
- Easy to read for people whose vision is going south
- User replaceable battery a nice touch
- PC downloadable not critical
- Maximum street (Internet) price $300-$350

We are leaning toward Suunto or Oceanic, but could be arm-twisted if it's for a good reason. What say all of you out there?

Thanks!

I'm happy with my Cressi Archimedes II as my primary computer. Goes for the price you are looking at. Large, easily read display. Wrist mounted. Does air and nitrox. Has a PC cable you can buy and user replaceable batteries. Very simple to use.

I have also been thinking about this myself...

What kind of computer is your AI computer? If it's Oceanic then get an Oceanic backup.

What kind of computer is your AI computer? If it's Oceanic then get an Oceanic backup.

You hit that one right on ... our console computers are Oceanic PP2's. I was thinking the algorithms and operating modes would be similar in some respects, which would be a plus. We both want small units, and were considering the Oceanic Geo (really small!) or the Veo 100. On the other hand, the Suunto Gekko looks like a sweet little unit, and gets good reviews. Just curious ... what specifically is your reasoning for sticking with Oceanic, in our case? Or, put another way, are the similarities between an Oceanic PP2 and a Geo important in using them together, or would the "other opinion" from a Suunto Gekko be valuable?

I had an old Aeris that flooded last weekend so I have started looking for the same thing. The Cressi Archimedes II, Dive Rite Nitek Duo, Tusa IQ-700, Zeagle N2ition are all the same computer, but it really looks to be a good one. It fits in your price range and handles two gas mixes, user replaceable battery, functions as a bottom timer as a backup, Nitrox up to 99% and is small enough to be a backup but still has easy to read digits. My roommate has the Tusa IQ-800 and it has some good features too. Easy to read and vibrating alarm features are cool. Tusa also has an automatic safety stop timer. Get to 20' and it automatically starts a countdown for 3 minutes. IMO these are worth a look.

IMO, this is the right answer. I would think that to be effective as a backup, it would need to have the same algorithm. This way, you would have identical NDL times. Use a different brand and your NDL's are likely to be different.

I love my Gekko, but I would not recommend it in this instance.

I had an old Aeris that flooded last weekend so I have started looking for the same thing. The Cressi Archimedes II, Dive Rite Nitek Duo, Tusa IQ-700, Zeagle N2ition are all the same computer, but it really looks to be a good one. It fits in your price range and handles two gas mixes, user replaceable battery, functions as a bottom timer as a backup, Nitrox up to 99% and is small enough to be a backup but still has easy to read digits. My roommate has the Tusa IQ-800 and it has some good features too. Easy to read and vibrating alarm features are cool. Tusa also has an automatic safety stop timer. Get to 20' and it automatically starts a countdown for 3 minutes. IMO these are worth a look.

The Archimedes II has the safety stop timer as well, I assume all of these would. I think they are absolutely fantastic computers and I've been very happy with mine for the last 2 seasons of diving.

Thanks for the opinions everyone ... we're going to stick with Oceanic,same algorithm and programming as our consoles, and I found a killer deal too!

You hit that one right on ... our console computers are Oceanic PP2's. I was thinking the algorithms and operating modes would be similar in some respects, which would be a plus. We both want small units, and were considering the Oceanic Geo (really small!) or the Veo 100. On the other hand, the Suunto Gekko looks like a sweet little unit, and gets good reviews. Just curious ... what specifically is your reasoning for sticking with Oceanic, in our case? Or, put another way, are the similarities between an Oceanic PP2 and a Geo important in using them together, or would the "other opinion" from a Suunto Gekko be valuable?

I mentioned this because the algorithm should match. Oceanic computers are relatively "liberal" and Suunto's are very "conservative". It makes more sense to keep the algorithms similar for the way you plan to use them.

Back
Top Bottom