Finally Got my BP/W setup, umm...now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
After 4 years of waiting for the right deal to come along, I have finally gotten my BP/W setup.
For $450 I got:
a Dive-rite harness w/ crotch strap
A Dive-Rite SS BP
a Rec Wing
Proton V16 metal regs
An armor reel
plus a bunch more stuff which are just odds and ends. The equipment has been stored for two years indoors and looks like new, no fading or wear and tear and the owner claims it has 5 dives on it.

Now, my questions, Supposedly the rec wing can be used for singles or doubles. I really don't need doubles and probably won't for years. Anyone have any experience using this wing in a singles configuration? Should I sell it and get something more suitable?

Where can I get a single tank adapter for the BP? Anyone know of a good cheap source?

You can buy an STA from just about every manufacturer. I believe the cheapest I've seen is the OMS single tank adapter on ScubaToys. OMS makes good stuff, so no worries there.

I've never owned a Rec wing, and I never will. I've seen the horrid "tank taco" effect you get with singles on it. Can it be done? Sure. I know someone who bungies the hell out of it, and it works. Most refuse to try and dive singles with it. Might I reccomend the king of singles wing, the Oxycheq Mach V? (Shameless plug, I absolutely love mine).

Danny

Now, my questions, Supposedly the rec wing can be used for singles or doubles. I really don't need doubles and probably won't for years. Anyone have any experience using this wing in a singles configuration? Should I sell it and get something more suitable?
Lots of experience with a Rec wing for singles. Nothing wrong with doing so, if that's the wing you have! The most enjoyable dive I have ever done was made off the NC coast with a Rec wing and single steel 120. Is it ideal for singles, or doubles? Probably not. But, I have two of them, my son dives one as well, and you DO NOT need to sell it and get a different wing, just because it is a Rec.
Where can I get a single tank adapter for the BP? Anyone know of a good cheap source?
Cheap? I got several inexpensive ABS STAs on eBay, but there aren't any used ones listed there at the moment. The cam bands / buckles will probably cost as much as the STA, BTW. Dive Rite Express has new STAs with bands for about $140.

You can use the rec wing with no problem with a single tank. I used one for years and have had no issues. Just enjoy your diving. You will probably like using a STA, but you can dive without one.

Brent

Ok, that said, what advantage does a STA give you?

And I realize that I can dive with a rec wing, and thank you for the counts of personal experience, But if I will be happier with a smaller wing better suited to my diving then I would rather sell this one now as it looks brand new and I will get the most for it before it is faded and worn.

An ABS STA? That sounds like immenent failure waiting to happen especially with gear that is going to be used in the Florida Sun. I think I'll pony up the cash for aluminum or stainless.

The STA will prevent the single tank from moving around on you. If you take teh normal backplate, it is designed to have a central ridge where doubles are screwed down. If you use it with a single tank, the tank is now set a bit further away, and without some extra stability hardware, it can move side-to-side. With an STA it will stay in place, which should give you a more comfortable dive. Most people don't like tanks shifting all the time.

Ok, that said, what advantage does a STA give you?

And I realize that I can dive with a rec wing, and thank you for the counts of personal experience, But if I will be happier with a smaller wing better suited to my diving then I would rather sell this one now as it looks brand new and I will get the most for it before it is faded and worn.

An ABS STA? That sounds like immenent failure waiting to happen especially with gear that is going to be used in the Florida Sun. I think I'll pony up the cash for aluminum or stainless.

STA's were originally developed to allow the use of single tanks with doubles wings that had grommeted holes in the center panel, but no camband slots.

The addition of a STA makes a single tank "look" like doubles, in other words the single tank now has bolts projecting from it at 11 centers, just like a set of doubles.

If a wing and or plate lack cambands slots, then a STA is you only option.

If a wing and plate have cambands slots you can directly mount the tank. Avoid using bolts to secure the wing to the plate, as these bolts will become the "high points" that the tank rests on, and that can lead to tank rock.

(This is why DSS singles wings do not have metal grommets and do not bolt on to the plate)

A STA will:

Move the tank further from the diver
Add Weight (this can be a positive or negative depending on application)
Add Cost
Encourage leaving the wing bolted to the plate
Possibly force a very tank position relative to the back plate, due to the location of the camband slots.

A STA will also:

Improve tank stability in some cases. (Not in the case of a well designed "direct mount" system)

Make switching from singles to doubles a bit easier, no cambands to rethread. (This fact is often cited as THE rational behind using a STA, but in practice very very few divers routinely switch between singles and doubles. Mos that routinely dive both configurations have at least two plates)

STA's aren't evil, just unnecessary in many cases. Your application might benefit from one.

Tobin

But if I will be happier with a smaller wing better suited to my diving then I would rather sell this one now as it looks brand new and I will get the most for it before it is faded and worn.
Nothing wrong with that. I think the responses (mine included) were merely intended to point out that you CAN, if you wish, dive the Rec with single tanks without problem, and lots of people do. (I am a bit amused by the hoopla across a number of threads over the 'dreaded taco'. Among the list of things that divers should worry about in refining bouyancy and trim, it is not particularly close to the top.) Why do you think you 'will be happier' with a smaller wing? Not saying you will or won't, just curious.
An ABS STA? That sounds like immenent failure waiting to happen especially with gear that is going to be used in the Florida Sun.
Not at all. It may be true for the plastic cam buckles, and I have had one fail, so I only use SS buckles. But, the ABS STAs are pretty hardy. That said, the Dive Rite I suggested looking at is a SS, and that is really the way to go these days.

I used a rec wing with single tanks for a while. I got the feeling that I would have been a little better off at first with a smaller wing which wouldn't taco as much. It made shifting gas around a little difficult. However, I got used to it pretty quickly. I can tell a huge difference in my intuitive ability to keep good trim with doubles onthe wing than singles, but with a little bit of practice either setup should be easily doable.

If you want to sell the wing, then sell it sure and get a wing that does not require an STA, to save yourself the money on that. Otherwise, I would reccomend that you get an STA.

It's a great rig with singles or doubles, not always the best but it's designed to be usable for lots of situations, and I feel it is. Don't let the comments discourage you from using this with singles! At the same time, if you think you will regret it, then by all means sell it and get yourself a good, smaller wing. I'd reccomend something by DSS or Oxycheq, both of them have some prety sweet offerings. Both manufacturers are also easily available here or on TDS, and answer email quickly, if you ever have problems and need help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom