SS Grommets for Oceanic BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KGNickl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have an Oceanic Atmos XT BC. I want to add a couple grommets onto the side pocket to mount my knife. I know I can just burn or poke holes through, but I would rather buy and install grommets or pay somewhere to do it so its clean and last longer. I have four questions below and some info about the grommets.

1. What size grommets does oceanic use on there BCs for the accessory mount points?
2. What online stores that sell stainless steel grommets for marine use?
3. How to install them? What is needed and where to buy or rent it?
4. Are grommets measured by inner/hole diameter or out diameter?
* It would also be cool to find the dark black colored grommets like the ones on my BC to make it match

I measured the size of the grommets on my BC. Its hard to tell exactly, but below is what I got in inches
Outer Diameter: 11/16 or maybe 10/16 (5/8)
Inner Diameter: 4/16 (2/8) or 5/16

Check with a sign company in your area - someone that makes vinyl banners - they'll have a variety of grommets - including those used for outdoor use which would work well in a diving application.

Also check out the shops that sell/repair awnings or do work with canvas.

Great thread. I've been looking myself.

My local Home D has grommet kits for about $8 with the tools and 12 grommet sets. 1/2", 3/8" and 1/4". About $3 for grommet refills. The packaging claims they're solid brass.

However the suggestions above seem like much better ideas. Those shops no doubt use "real" grommet presses so you can get the grommets "clamped" without cutting the fabric. I need to find such a shop around here.

Henrik

Here's a site with grommet kits with installation tools as well. A bit pricey, but you can figure out sizing etc.

grommetmart.com:

As far as I can tell, the size indicates the hole in the grommet after installation. From crude drillbit measurement, the drain grommets in my Oxycheq pocket and wing are a tad bigger than 1/4".

Henrik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom