D3 or Mosquito

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been advised to get a simple bottom timer for timing deco stops so as not to be dependent on a computer. The Suunto D3 was recommended, but they are discontinued. I'm shopping for a used one. I've found the Suunto Mosquito is more available.

What is the difference between them? Does the Mosquito provide a basic stop watch function while underwater?

Thanks
Michael

Yep. Mosquito has been discontinued as well, but will be supported (batteries, etc.) Good computer, but any that have a gauge function will suffice. Might think about something you can do multiple mixes with, just to increase your flexibility. I dive my Vytec for just about everything short of trimix, usage depending on my needs. Your mileage may vary. Or just use a watch.

-Nomad

I've found a new in box Mosquito. Does the stop watch work the same as the D3?

I'd recommend the D4, which is the replacement for both the Mosquito and D3. The D4's free dive mode provides a timer and stopwatch (both in seconds increments) that is suitable for timing BT and deco stops.

I would probably try to find the D3 rather than a D4 as the D3 has user replaceable batteries. We have a couple of D3's and use them as backups to our Cobra/Vytecs.

I don't know what you are looking for, but the Mosquito has no gauge mode, whereas I believe the D3 is purely a gauge. You can try to operate the Mosquito in free dive mode, but it generates an error message after five minutes. It's a decent little computer, although I found the display hard to read. I still use mine as a backup for trips.

OK, Maybe I'm being sily, but if all you want is a bottom timer and Stopwatch, why not just get a chronograph watch that is rated to 100m? Some of the Casio G-Shocks should work fine.

OK, Maybe I'm being sily, but if all you want is a bottom timer and Stopwatch, why not just get a chronograph watch that is rated to 100m? Some of the Casio G-Shocks should work fine.

Not silly at all, but I still don't have an answer to my question. Does the Mosquito have a "stop watch" function that can be used underwater?

I've thought about using a Casio, but I think that even though they are "rated" at 100m, you are not supposed to work the buttons underwater.

TSand M said the Mosquito does not have a gauge mode, this sort of indicates to me that is does not have a stop watch function underwater.

I have a Uwatec Tec2G, I'm looking for a separate stopwatch.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom