Travel wing loses air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JTDivers

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

Just received my new travel wing for our summer dive vacation. I currently own the TransPac harness w/rec wing and just purchased the travel wing for the warm water excursion. When I received the new wing, I inspected it and then inflated it manually via the inflator hose. The air cell will inflate fully and all appears to be going as planned. I then check on it a short time later and it in noticeable deflated, let it sit overnight and it is completely flat. I have checked the tightness of the valves and they appear to be secure and I do not hear any leakage. I have also checked the bladder itself to see if there is any form of compromise in the seal. When I return from a dive and clean my TransPac BC, I will manually inflate my Rec Wing air cell which will stay inflated for extended periods of time with no air loss, so I was wondering what can I now do to remedy this air loss issue?

Thanks for your time,
Trevor

If you bought it new, return it to where you bought it. It should still be under warranty. You could also test it by holding it under water, and find out where the leak is.
But, overall, it should be returned!

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for posting this and I am very glad you tested your wing before taking it diving...a good habit every diver should follow.

Inflate your wing again and submerge it in the bathtub...see if you can find a noticeable stream of bubbles.

Then give us a call and talk to Jess in service. If you purchased your wing from an authorized Dive Rite dealer, it will be under warranty if there is anything amiss.

Here are instructions on contacting us for warranty repair:SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Warranty Policy

Best,
Kathleen

Hello,

Just received my new travel wing for our summer dive vacation. I currently own the TransPac harness w/rec wing and just purchased the travel wing for the warm water excursion. When I received the new wing, I inspected it and then inflated it manually via the inflator hose. The air cell will inflate fully and all appears to be going as planned. I then check on it a short time later and it in noticeable deflated, let it sit overnight and it is completely flat. I have checked the tightness of the valves and they appear to be secure and I do not hear any leakage. I have also checked the bladder itself to see if there is any form of compromise in the seal. When I return from a dive and clean my TransPac BC, I will manually inflate my Rec Wing air cell which will stay inflated for extended periods of time with no air loss, so I was wondering what can I now do to remedy this air loss issue?

Thanks for your time,
Trevor

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for posting this and I am very glad you tested your wing before taking it diving...a good habit every diver should follow.

Inflate your wing again and submerge it in the bathtub...see if you can find a noticeable stream of bubbles.

Then give us a call and talk to Jess in service. If you purchased your wing from an authorized Dive Rite dealer, it will be under warranty if there is anything amiss.

Here are instructions on contacting us for warranty repair:SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Warranty Policy

Best,
Kathleen

I like the part about "authorized dive rite dealer"...purchased elsewher..oops...too bad..

I like the part about "authorized dive rite dealer"...purchased elsewher..oops...too bad..
And that would be why I bought my wing from ST, they pricematched and are authorized. No reason to buy gray market when they will pricematch.

Not really. If it was purchased from an unauthorized dealer like Leisurepro, the OP will have to work the exchange/fix through that dealer. Dive Rite will likely still end up making the fix, but it will have to be done through the gray market source channels.

It probably is better to buy Dive Rite products from one of the authorized dealers who will price match any other dealer so you can get the gray market dealer price from an authorized dealer (and maybe free shipping to boot).

Since this wing was an early B-day gift from the parents, I need to find out the location which it was purchased. As far as authorized dealer, I still need to find out(and hope) it was purchased from sorts. At the risk of sounding stupid, how can a business sell Dive Rite products and not be "authorized". Since there is really only one location to get the Dive Rite product, how do they pull that one off? Since I am new to diving and still learning the do and do-not of Internet purchases, I have been to the LP web page. That is good to know since they sell DR items and are NOT an authorized dealer.

...as it *should* be...

Since this wing was an early B-day gift from the parents, I need to find out the location which it was purchased. As far as authorized dealer, I still need to find out(and hope) it was purchased from sorts. At the risk of sounding stupid, how can a business sell Dive Rite products and not be "authorized". Since there is really only one location to get the Dive Rite product, how do they pull that one off? Since I am new to diving and still learning the do and do-not of Internet purchases, I have been to the LP web page. That is good to know since they sell DR items and are NOT an authorized dealer.
JT, there are 'gray market' dealers that are not authorized for a multitude of products (including DR).

The chance you take with them, is typically a much more limited warranty, and the warranty is serviced by the unauthorized dealer, as opposed to the manufacturer...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom