Which wood, Mahogany or Teak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to buy one of the AB Biller guns. They offer the same gun in three different kinds of wood. Does it matter, other than cosmetically? There is a difference in how you finish the wood too. What I'm wondering is if there is any difference in performance underwater. Maybe mahogany floats to much or has more "spring" than teak. So how to select which wood to get. I'll admit that I don't even know what "padauk" is although I'm familiar with the other two.

I think that the teak is obviously better but not really necessary. The other wood will require more maintanence but should work fine. If you decide that you want to go with teak, the AB Biller prices get real close to the price of the Riffe Competitor series. The Riffe in my opinion is a much better gun and it's teak.

Mahogany is a very strong wood as is teak and both are fine for spearguns, teak just stands up to neglect in a marine environment alittle better over time. My guns are teak and I wouldn't have it any other way, but mahogany is fine as long as the coating stays intact. Otherwise it will rot slowly as water is allowed to get inside against the wood.

In the age of sail oak was greatly preferred to teak on ships of the line as during battle wood slivers would fly and injure crewman. An oak sliver was not a problem as it did not particularly irritate the wound. But a wound with a teak sliver in it would fester and as it was nearly impossible to remove them all, that almost invariably meant amputation if the wound were in a limb or death if the wound was in the trunk.

So...if there is any possibility of your gun getting hit by a cannon ball, you are far better off with anything other than teak.

Otherwise, for a speargun stock that does not by design spends it's life in the water or exposed to the elements on deck, there is no difference between teak or mahogany in terms of decay as both are suitably rot resistant.

Both teak and mahogany have low stiffness and shock resistance, but mahogany is even lower than teak. Mahogoany will take a natural oil finish much better than teak, which is itself already a pretty oily wood. Mahogany is also easier to work with and generally has a nicer grain pattern as teak is usually very straight grained.

Of those two choices, teak is a bit less attractive, harder to work and not as finish freindly, but is slightly more rot resistant, slightly stronger and slightly more shock resistant.

Padauk is grown in central africa and is exceptionally strong as well as exceptionally rot resistant and is dimensionally very stable over time. It is also very pretty wood that finishes well with no need for a stain. The only downside is that it tends to have larger pores than the already pretty coarse teak and mahogany so it requires a bit more sanding and filling for a gloss finish.

Strenght wise, it makes little difference as most stocks are over built already, but if I had a preference I'd go with padauk as it looks very nice and is stronger than the other two. Teak would come in third unless I could see the gun first as it tends to be a bit plain and it does not offer much over mahogany in terms of strenght or rot resistance.

For an application like a rifle stock where sharp and substantial recoil is present, neither teak nor mahogany are good choices due to the low stiffness and shock resistance. Padauk however would work well in this application and would be a good choice for a rifle that was exposed to the elements as the dimensional stability would promote accuracy as it would be less affected by humidity and temperature changes over time.

On a wooden boat, Teak and mahogany are good choices as the rot resistance and high bend strenght are good attributes.

I want to buy one of the AB Biller guns.

They are very good guns at an incredible value. After you start shooting more and more and if (when) the spearing bug hits you like a ton of credit card debt, you'll probably move on to more specialized guns suited for your specific geography and style.

You'll see that it's not just wood type (there's metal, carbon fiber, etc too) that you have choices with. But also how to rig a gun with line, tips, tabs, loading, and on & on. Just keep one thing in mind. It's not the gun that puts fish on the boat, it's the hunter's skill.

Sunday's Triggerfish in Jupiter Florida.

IMG_0830.jpg

Sun, salt and abrasion all take their toll on your guns finish, so you do need to do some maintenance if you use your guns like tools.

Of the 3 woods mahogany has some big advantages besides the lowest cost. Biller coats the wood with a varnish and polyurethane coat which will retain the most buoyancy (a good thing) and require less frequent maintenance. Once a year touch up is easy to keep it well sealed.

Teak and padauk are usually not sealed but rather rubbed with oil and they will dry out easily without frequent applications. Look around at all the dried up ugly teak guns you'll see on boats. Padauk darkens and loses it's red beauty unless kept well oiled.

Few gun makers use a seal coat on teak. An exception, Daryl Wong uses a lacquer finish coat on his teak guns and they are beautiful, but the West Systems is not easy for a non-woodworker to touch up. I may get him to refinish my 2 most popular guns in black epoxy for durability and easy of refinishing.

Chad

TEAK!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mohagony are produced because they are cheaper.
Teak will take the abuse much more than any other wood, but does require maintenance. Mohagony is urathane coated because it does not stand up as well. It also offers less bouyancy than teak.
Certainly a factor if you freedive/lineshaft.

I have a Biller in Padauk that I like very much. Yes, it does have to be oiled to keep its handsome reddish appearance, but that takes very little time with linseed oil. I know that Spearfishing Specialties in Florida (Ocean Rhino, etc.) has made some guns from laminate, and that is going to be my next purchase. Due to the shortage of straight quality teak, Kevin experimented with some of the laminated woods similar to those used in gunstocks. I have not actually seen one, and last time I looked they were not on the Spearfishing Specialties website, but it might be worth an e-mail.

I want to buy one of the AB Biller guns. They offer the same gun in three different kinds of wood. Does it matter, other than cosmetically? There is a difference in how you finish the wood too. What I'm wondering is if there is any difference in performance underwater. Maybe mahogany floats to much or has more "spring" than teak. So how to select which wood to get. I'll admit that I don't even know what "padauk" is although I'm familiar with the other two.

Hi ChrisA, as has already been said, there are many choices in guns. Personally, I think that teak is better. I have an ABBiller LTD teak which is easy to maintain in like new condition simply by oiling it regularly. Mine is about 5 years old, gets used every week and right now looks almost brand new.
As Johnoly has already said, the Billers are very good guns at a very competitive price. IMO, one cannot go wrong with these guns as the trigger mechanisms also hold up exceptionally well.
I also have other guns, including a Wong magnum hybrid with teak stock. It also holds up well.
Regardless of the gun you ultimately select, efficiency is largely determind by the shooter. Any gun, properly equipped, will bring down fish.

Back
Top Bottom