Clarification of the new DIR-F class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MHK

Reaction score
I had no idea that the respone to the other thread would get so lengthy, and somewhat off track.. What I hope doesn't get lost in the other thread is the following:

1) The change is not effective until June 1, 2003;

2) Any classes that have been previously organized we will honor the previous commitments in terms of the previous standards;

3) There will be the possibility to "audit" the DIR-F class on a non-certification basis after the new effective date and changes to the Standards. This option will be at the discretion of each individual instructor. However please note:

4) That the DIR-F class will be a pre-requisite for any advanced GUE classes;

5) Still undecided, but will be announced shortly, is the concept of if you've previously taken the class under the "old" format will that apply towards future GUE classes. The initial thoughts have been that if the instructor provides a positive recommendation it's likely that your previous class will count. But at this point the BOD is still undecided.

I try to be responsive and if you have any questions I'll do what I can to respond.

Hope that summarizes the issues, but I'm confident if I missed something you'll let me know ;-)

Regards

Michael Kane

MHK once bubbled...
I had no idea that the respone to the other thread would get so lengthy, and somewhat off track.. What I hope doesn't get lost in the other thread is the following:

1) The change is not effective until June 1, 2003;

2) Any classes that have been previously organized we will honor the previous commitments in terms of the previous standards;

3) There will be the possibility to "audit" the DIR-F class on a non-certification basis after the new effective date and changes to the Standards. This option will be at the discretion of each individual instructor. However please note:

4) That the DIR-F class will be a pre-requisite for any advanced GUE classes;

5) Still undecided, but will be announced shortly, is the concept of if you've previously taken the class under the "old" format will that apply towards future GUE classes. The initial thoughts have been that if the instructor provides a positive recommendation it's likely that your previous class will count. But at this point the BOD is still undecided.

I try to be responsive and if you have any questions I'll do what I can to respond.

Hope that summarizes the issues, but I'm confident if I missed something you'll let me know ;-)

Regards

Michael Kane

I think it's an excellent idea, Mike. The class has become much more structured that the original "DIR demos" you first had, it deserves a card. Sounds a lot different than our first encounter in '99 (where you pared 15 items off my BC and rigged me a long hose). GUE's requirements are so different from other agencies, this preparation is simply a must. I know at least three divers that didn't make it through Tech 1 due to expectations of an easier regimen.

When will you hit Gilboa next?

Popeye once bubbled...

I think it's an excellent idea, Mike. The class has become much more structured that the original "DIR demos" you first had, it deserves a card. Sounds a lot different than our first encounter in '99 (where you pared 15 items off my BC and rigged me a long hose). GUE's requirements are so different from other agencies, this preparation is simply a must. I know at least three divers that didn't make it through Tech 1 due to expectations of an easier regimen.

When will you hit Gilboa next?

Popeye,

Sitting back now and looking at where we started the DIR Demo's and the growth and evolution is quit amazing. BTW, I seem to remember a tad bit more then 15 items ;-)..

I will be in Gilboa over the summer again, off hand I just don't know when. In all honesty I usually just check the www.fifthd.com website that's generally where I check. This travle schedule has been so hectic, and this weekend was the first weekend in some time that I've been home and/or not diving, I can't believe how much I miss these net wars ;-)...

We've got so many classes on the fire I just want to make sure that one of these days I see you in one of them ;-).. BTW, you were one of my original DIR Demo's so it would be nice to come full circle ;-)

See you soon my friend, and BTW you ever planning on heading out west??? We've got some great diving and I've got a spare bedroom for you..

Later

Is there some sort of international governing body that accredits the course so that the certification is recognized?

Who does it, and what's the process?

Marc

Popeye once bubbled...
Sounds a lot different than our first encounter in '99 (where you pared 15 items off my BC and rigged me a long hose).

Are you the guy our instructors talked about that even had a pair of sunglasses clipped off to a d-ring for the surface swim???

Thanks for the additional info, Mike.

One question for you:
With the reputation for DIR-F as it currently exists and the new format, it seems fair to assume that many potential students won't pass on the first go around. Does GUE have any intent to offer repeats of the class at progressively lower rates or would the cost be the same no matter how many times a diver tries to pass the class?

OK I lied, one more question:
Will GUE offer post-class skills testing opportunities for divers that take the class under the new format and can't make the cut, so they wouldn't necessarily need to repeat the class to get the certification?

Thanks in advance,

Rick

Cave Diver once bubbled...

Are you the guy our instructors talked about that even had a pair of sunglasses clipped off to a d-ring for the surface swim???

In fact, that would be me.

And a ball cap & chapstick, too. :)

I used the sunglasses frequently to keep track of the boat on sunny days, waiting for pick up.

Cave Diver once bubbled...

Here ya go, Cave Diver, somewhere off Singer Island long ago:

"MHK: WHAT *is* all. this. shxt.?
(MHK is not a native Californian; He's the New Yorker from hell!)
Popeye: tools and stuff. Survival gear.
MHK: What's THAT!?
Popeye: a dive knife
M: take it off.
P: which one?
M: all of it.
P: WHAT?
M: now!
P: but what about....
M: get it off.
P: but I use these for...
M: Off.
P: but this is a...
M: it's trash, get rid of it.
P: but my colapsible dive flag....
M: no.
P: All three lights!?
M: its daytime.
P: mirror!?
M: nyada.
P: I keep some spare....
M: not anymore
P: but I got a brand new...
M: it's junk.
M: And don't let Jammer see that Dive Alert.
P: even my 7000 # rescue belt?
M: whaddaya lift cars with that?- get it off.
P: what about my strobe?
M: no. is that your octo?(laughing)
do you have any decent regs?
P: no sunglasses and chapstick?
M: verrrry funny. now change all your hoses and
get rid of that stupid console
P: yessir.

(Rich had previously refered to being "tapped by the DIR wand",
this was apparently the DIR "MHKane Freight Train".)

More on Popeye's DIR "Evolution Revolution" tomorrow."

Popeye once bubbled...

In fact, that would be me.

And a ball cap & chapstick, too. :)

I used the sunglasses frequently to keep track of the boat on sunny days, waiting for pick up.

Now if Sergei the Ice Diver would just make an appearance on the board, my DIRF class experience would be complete...

Popeye--True and accurate description of rig assembly. The same happened in the DIRF that I took last year. That part of the class was more painful for some than others.

I got a chance to see a GUE presentation over the weekend by Dave Sweetin at the Ford Seahorse Shipwreck Fest. Good stuff!

I am hoping that it was inspirational and motivational for people to sign up for the fundamentals class being offered in West Michigan.

DIRF
Grand Rapids, Michigan
May 30, 31 June 1
Instr: Mike Kane, Andrew G
There are spots still available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom