How long will a BC last?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaterFox

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Been shopping for a new BC for a while. Thinking about buying a new Diva BC. My LDS has this BC marked down quite a bit and I'm considering buying one. I really like the fit. Tried it out underwater as well and I think its my favorite BC so far.

Anyway, just wondering how long does a new BC typically last, errr, rather how many dives can you expect to get out of it before it needs to be replaced? That is assuming, of course, that the BC is properly taken care of after every dive (washing/rinsing/maintenence). Just curious approximately how long I can expect it will last for me. Thanks.

(I tried searching to see if this topic has been asked before, but no luck. Apparently "BC" is not a long enough search term on SB.... maybe I'm using the wrong keywords)

I have 800 dives on my current BC. Like most Scuba gear they are pretty tough.

I bought a Mares BC in 2002 and I still have it! I used it pretty extensively for the first year or so, maybe 100+ dives in freshwater, and then I switched to a BP/W. I still use the BC for the pool and on saltwater trips.

I don't think I ever did any maintenance on it, other than the usual rinsing. I'm probably not as meticulous since I dive in freshwater. One of the seams for the zipper pockets has come loose, but that just means that I can't close the pocket. It's not brown from the pool, but the black is a little faded.

...how long does a new BC typically last, errr, rather how many dives can you expect to get out of it before it needs to be replaced?

It varies a lot. The best answer is "several hundred". You can fix many of the parts like the dump valves and low pressure inflator. If you loose a weight pouch you can get replacements. The badder in mine sprung a leak but aqua-seal fixed that. What does them in eventually is abrasion but it takes years for that.

Everyone I know who has bought a second BC has bought one because they desided the second one is some how better not because they really needed one.

Well, there is one thing that will destroy a BC. Pool water. It is OK to do a few classes in the pool but in instructor would want a "pool BC". The chorine turns them brown.

I too use a Mares BC (that I bought in 1999). The thing has over 2000 dives on it, 99% saltwater, used for hunting and running transects on beach dives (that means I have REALLY beat the crap out of this thing). Its like the energizer bunny, it keeps going, and going...

Every 2-3 years I have to replace the dump valves (for all of about $30), that's the only maintenance she's required. I did have to get the cummerbund adjustment resown once, but if you saw the way it was abused you would know why.

BTW, it's still in good shape and I have no plans for replacing it anytime soon.

I have about 120 on mine and it still looks new. One of my buddies has 550 (+/- 25) dives on his and he isn't talking about replacing it.

On the other hand I'm not sure how you could ever hurt a Back Plate (Steel or Al). The wing, harness and inflator would be subject to the same wear and tear as a non-backplate BC.

I was given a BCD by someone who was moving. They did not tell me how old or well used. It is still in good condition from a cursory glance, any quick tests that would tell me whether it is usable or damaged?

thanks
mike

I was given a BCD by someone who was moving. They did not tell me how old or well used. It is still in good condition from a cursory glance, any quick tests that would tell me whether it is usable or damaged?
1. Detailed visual inspection -- look for mechanical problems such as seams that are coming open, big rips or tears, cracked or broken plastic fittings. Inspect the corrugated hose closely. Make sure that the inflator hose and elbow is well connected. If in doubt, cut off the zipties, check out the pulldump cord inside, and put it all back together.

2. Does it hold air. Orally inflate it and leave it for a while.

3. Unscrew a dump valve and look at the inside of the bladder to see if it is in good condition. Also check out the sealing surface of the overpressure dumps.

4. Really, really check out the operation of the inflator. If there is any sign of sticking, leaking, etc., just go get a generic replacement. Unintended inflation and a runaway ascent is probably the biggest potential danger. Replacement inflators are cheap.

5. Hook up the low pressure inflator hose and inflate until one or more of the overpressure dump valves pop open. See if the BCD still holds air --- you might have to yank on the dump valves to reseat them well.

(I tried searching to see if this topic has been asked before, but no luck. Apparently "BC" is not a long enough search term on SB.... maybe I'm using the wrong keywords)

Quick tip for people searching for very short strings on scubaboard. You can use Google to do this. The other day I wanted to find every thread on Scubaboard about the i3 inflator device, but "i3" is too short to search for. It is still a good search string though because it is pretty unique.

So in Google you simply type what you are searching for and restrict the search to a particular site. For example, enter this into Google:

i3 site:scubaboard.com

Voila.

Searching for just "bc" will probably return way more results than you want though. :wink:

I had to replace my 20+ YO Dacor last year with close to 1000 dives on it, wife had almost the same model & it lasted for 19 years(with over 400 dives on it)....Both were not well maintained ie we stored them on an upper shelf of one of our closets in our house on Roatan---LOTS of humidity & heat......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom