As a profesional- How do you expect to be treated?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liquid

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
First of all, I want to welcome myself back after a long time (had a very busy semester in univercity).

Now, for the issue-
This one is for the profesional divers of the board (though anyone, ofcourse, is welcome to comment):

Say you go diving in a center you never been to before, how do you expect to be treated in this center?

For example-I'm from Israel, and usualy when I go diving in a center in Israel, I get what I need for free, with the owners having in mind that I will recomend the place for others (Israel is a very small country), and I usualy do, and everyone benefits.

Some time ago I went diving in Thailand, in Koh-Tao (the red sea is MUCH better!!!), went to a dive center and gave my details. Thogh I didn't expect to recive anything for free this time, I didn't expect to be treated as a new diver.
What do I mean?
One of their DMs sits with every diver that comes, examines his history. He asked me a few questions which I answered truthfully. Later I told the them I had a cold, and might not be able to dive, and the people of the center started giving me advice on solving the problem, the kind of advice I'd give to fresh O.W divers, but expect anyone else to know (and it's also the way they said it). The same went when I asked to check weights (they said it wasn't really possible). Now, it was a good center, but I felt I was a bit disrespected (they had all of my details under their nose whaen they gave me those silly advice!!!).

Well I am not a professional diver. But you being a customer to the dive resort/shop, they were probably just trying to help you out. I think it would be unprofessional not to be open minded to someones suggestion. And going over your history is CTA(covering their a$$) for them. They didn't put you on the spot to disrespect you, mearly gave you advice on something that could possibaly put your diving vacation to a halt. Something they probably see every single week. As I see it, they were just doing their job as DM's. I mean, you must know some other professional divers that could use a suggestion or two on something to better they're diving. We as divers can never say we already know everything. Stay open minded.. You can never go wrong with that.

I don't know about a pro opinion, I'll tell you what I personally think of the story. If you're sure that their behavior and words weren't in any way construed as cultural (even local culture) or that it wasn't related to some sort of cover our butts legal stuff, then I'd say the only explanation is they were idiots.

Liquid once bubbled...
First of all, I want to welcome myself back after a long time (had a very busy semester in univercity).

Now, for the issue-
This one is for the profesional divers of the board (though anyone, ofcourse, is welcome to comment):

Say you go diving in a center you never been to before, how do you expect to be treated in this center?

For example-I'm from Israel, and usualy when I go diving in a center in Israel, I get what I need for free, with the owners having in mind that I will recomend the place for others (Israel is a very small country), and I usualy do, and everyone benefits.

Some time ago I went diving in Thailand, in Koh-Tao (the red sea is MUCH better!!!), went to a dive center and gave my details. Thogh I didn't expect to recive anything for free this time, I didn't expect to be treated as a new diver.
What do I mean?
One of their DMs sits with every diver that comes, examines his history. He asked me a few questions which I answered truthfully. Later I told the them I had a cold, and might not be able to dive, and the people of the center started giving me advice on solving the problem, the kind of advice I'd give to fresh O.W divers, but expect anyone else to know (and it's also the way they said it). The same went when I asked to check weights (they said it wasn't really possible). Now, it was a good center, but I felt I was a bit disrespected (they had all of my details under their nose whaen they gave me those silly advice!!!).

If I just want some quite downtime then I show my RD card and take along the last 12 months of logs. Otherwise you can end up getting asked if you "wouldn't mind" this or that. Sometimes I just want to be an anonymous faceless paying customer and to avoid getting sucked into things (even for a discount). Anyway this is to say that I'm usually "treated like" a rescue diver with 100 dives which often suits me just fine.

As for the rest. I really appreciate having a chat with teh DM (or the shop) before hand. It gives me the opportunity to air my expectations and to get an idea of what to expect from them. If I'm on vacation and I want to go diving I usually take 2 days or more to talk to different shops before I decide what to do. Coming to terms is usually very easy and I've never been disappointed by a shop. I attribute that to the effort I put into talking to them before I go and if I don't like what I hear I just say "no thanks" and look further.

And I don't expect to be treated specially if I flash a fancy card at them. If they want to give advice and it's good advice then I say "thank you" or take the opportunity to exchange ideas. You have a choice; you can see these things as pleasant social encounters.... Even a "fresh O.W." student can give me a bit of good advice and I would be a fool to get all arrogant about it because I have a certain qualification, wouldn't I? Ever had a ER doctor or a paramedic in a Rescue class? Get my point? People are much more than their c-card may make them appear to be.....

R..

Not trying to stir the pot here, but there are too many folks going from Zero to "professional" in less than a year who have not ever had any experience doing dives that were anything other than sterile training dives.

These folks wind up doing the rest of the diving community a great disservice by

a) demanding special pricing and service
b) misleading others into believing they are experienced
c) lowering the impression that the world's community has of "diving professionals"

So it may have merely been a case of a dive operator that had been burnt a few too many times by these types, so when someone of your caliber came along, they weren't willing to treat you any different.

I wouldn't take it as an insult. I would take it as an unfortunate sign of the times.

Liquid once bubbled...

I didn't expect to be treated as a new diver...

News flash liquid.. You were a newbie at their site.
My first time at a new site. I don't mind the newbie treatment, I prefer it. If it is my first time I don't know their conditions, local currents,etc.

when I go diving in a center in Israel, I get what I need for free, ....Though I didn't expect to recive anything for free this time.

Why should you expect to recieve anything free the times after this. Are you saying the as an instructor if I come to Isreal that I have a good chance of getting everything free just because I might recommend the dive operation? Sounds like my kind gig.

Just relax and if you ever make it to the US.. don't expect the freebies.. They're few and far between.

As an instructor I will very rarely pull out my MSDT card (Instructor Card) for a shop or boat.

Instead if I am on holiday or diving with people I do not know I prefer to take along the appropriate certification card for that dive
For example
Nitrox Dive Nitrox Card
Deep Dive Deep card
Deco Dive Deco card

I will then let the shop treat me as an everyday customer, not making them aware I am an instructor.
If the shop shows me great service I will let them know and recommend there shop.

If I do not receive the service I expect I will let them know and will not be recommending there shop.

Of course if any emergency where to come up I would immediately let them know my rating and qualifications in First Aid and do all I could to assist.

I do not expect a shop I have never been into to give me discounts, or special treatment. Other than the respect shared as a fellow diver. For shops I frequent on a regular basis I do get a free dive, or discounts on gear form time to time, in exchange for a days work or helping out in the shop when they are busy

Doctors going on holiday - it's about the one time they usually book in as Mr or Mrs and drop the Dr....

I'm with Sydney_Diver - take your biggest leave me alone card, techie card if you're going down that line or RD. Will sure lead to a quieter holiday.....

Jonathan

I'm a Marksmanship Instructor for the Marine Corps, I rarly tell anyone that I am what I am, just to avoid 20 questions of "How about" and "What if". But I also like not telling anyone so when I do make it to the range as GP ( high speed low drag for general population) just to see what the other instructors might try to teach/brief me on. Try it some time.. You'd be amazed.

Liquid once bubbled...

The same went when I asked to check weights (they said it wasn't really possible). . [/B]

What is "checking weights" ???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom