Wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gclaudiu

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I have a transpac for a while now and I decided to buy a transplate (al) too. Right now i'm in a dilema: what wing should I use? I dive in tropical water, single tank, usually al80, with 3mm wetsuit and i use 7-8 pounds weight.

I was thinking to fit the travel wing to the plate (zip ties + tank straps) for a while till i'll get either a dss (torus #26) or oxycheck (machV #30) or a DR (venture). I'm interested in a wing that is reliable (seen few posts complaining abt machV blade getting punctured in time next to the hose connector). Anyway, I'm staying in asia-pac and the only DR representant in the area charge me a hand and a leg for anything and I'm not able to buy from here a machV or DSS cheap either (any wing will cost me around 400-450 USD or more)...

My questions are:
1. will the transplate work with travel wing or I shouldn't waste my time trying?
2. since all cost almost the same, which is the best option in terms o reliability?
3. do I need a STA to fit the machV on transpalte?
4. is the 30 lbs lift enough for large SS tanks?

Some points here: I like the profile of machV/torus, we'll be good to have the same dump valve as DR does, same about the drainage holes, etc... Ahh, btw, I already have the transplate :)

Appreciate any suggestion, thank you.

Simple answers...

1) No...the travel wing is designed only for the transpac system....this is spelled out on diverite express's website. I suppose your zip-tie solution is viable...but I would try that somewhere in controlled conditions before committing to an open water dive using it.
2) I don't know that reliability is the issue here. Both product lines are superior....personally for single tank diving I prefer the Mach V to anything else. I bought the Mach V Extreme...and I am not very worried about it being punctured. Do a little research on it and you will find out why.
3) You do not need an STA for a Mach V wing...I am using that wing (40 lb) on my transplate and have no issues with it without using an STA. There are some oxychek wings that do require an STA...but honestly I don't remember the models...and I think the newer ones are designed differently now. You would have to do some research on that.
4) How large a tank? 30 should be okay...personally I went with 40.

The Mach V I have does not have the same dump valve as the DR. The DR's come standard with the "pull the hose" dump, and Oxychek's, at least mine...does not have that feature.

I would recommend you contact scubatoys.com as they ship internationally, and certainly you can get what you are looking for a bit less money than what you apparentely can locally. They are authorized dealers for anything they sell, and they deal both DR and Oxychek equipment.

Thank you for reply :) Actually I did a lot of checks on the machV extreme and non-extreme... I know about extreme version and the entire marketing story, etc :) I even checked on scubatoy.com but unforunatelly, they don't deliver in Sinagpore :(

Another vote here for the Mach V. I don't have the extreme, but I'm not worried about that outer bladder getting punctured. It's tough man, really tough. It's also tiny. I've never seen a DSS wing in person, but it's MUCH smaller than a Venture.

Yes, I've seen several pictures on the net, thank you for reply :)
I want the machV too for the size and shape. I'll try to see what I can order online from here and work out from there :) Seems machV will be a great investment overall :wink:

Thank you :)

30 lbs of lift should be more than you will ever need diving a 3mm with a single tank, even a very large ss tank. 40 lbs is way more than you will need.

I have a SS TransPlate with STA and 40# Mach V Extreme 9/7/6mm wetsuit and HP100/130 tanks. There is not much difference in profile between the 32# actual lift and 40#. I only use the STA for extra weight and making the tank/BP one solid unit. The STA is not needed. I am use to using my pull dump valve, so having to hold the inflator valve up and pushing the button while monitoring my depth/air is new for me.

Check ST forum - there are members using cable ties to attach wing to BP.

There's no problem attaching a travel wing to a BP. If you really wanted to bolt it you could melt some holes in the fabric and crimp grommets over them. I've seen photos of that done; it looks just like the wing was made that way. But, the zip tie idea will work fine. If all you are using is 7-8lbs without a BP, and you bought a SS plate, you might be over weighted with a STA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom