Is Halcyon worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlearyous

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm looking at getting a bp/wing setup and my friends dad is offering to sell me a hacylon setup for 500 or so. i've heard that with hacylon your just buying a name from some others and that you can get the same thing without the name elsewhere.

suggestions?

I believe that for most of the major items Halcyon sells, Halcyon makes them. Halcyon gear is good quality (with the exception of the stainless steel inflators) but does tend to sit at the high end of the price spectrum. You can certainly get a very nice singles setup complete from Deep Sea Supply for less than $500. $500 for used gear is no bargain.

I love my halcyon. Have used it for 5 years with zero complaints. I have a SS backplate and the 27 lb pioneer wing with the lead lined STA, extremely stable. I have used both Al 80's and LP Steel 98. I can't argue if it is better/worse than any other brands becuase I haven't dove with anything else, but I'm completely happy that I bought my rig as is!

TS&M is right about the inflator. I bought a Pioneer 27 a few years ago and recently tried to salvage the inflator off of it for another bc. It was stuck and didn't function. I guess I can fix it but it shouldn't have failed. I only dived with it maybe...15 times but switched to another brand because the bladder had lots of little pinhole leaks all over it. I emailed H and they said they don't have any warranty coverage for that.
But I also got a "lemon" ScubaPro G250. Sometimes you're unlucky. My daughter has a H Eclipse and it's worked perfectly for 3 years. All my other SP regs worked fine...But $500 for used...you could do better.

quick update, my 27lb pioneer inflator isn't SS, for lack of a technical term it's a plastic composite type. Nearing 40 dives on it w/o any sticking, leaking problems, both salt and fresh water exposure.

That all depends upon what you're getting with the "complete" setup... two wings and a stainless steel backplate? single tank adapter?

Think I paid about $500 for a single wing, double wing and stainless steel backplate with ok (but not new) webbing. Including the weight pouches, MC storage pak and cam straps with metal buckles. Oh and there was a small stainless knife and an extra buckle. The inflator had already been replaced.

I love it and dive it often. It replace my standard recreational wing and it's all I pretty much use now. Singles, doubles, doesn't matter... I just pull off the cam straps and singles wing, slap the backplate + doubles wing on to my doubles and I'm ready to dive doubles.

This year I might have to finally replace the harness since it's starting to show some wear after about 200+ dives on it.

Dave

Halcyon makes fine diving gear, as do several others. I think if you shop around the top-tier manufacturers, you'll find that a complete setup from any of them is really quite similar in price. Halcyon will likely be a bit more than average, some might fall below the price average.

If the setup really is complete, $500 is a reasonable price if the gear is in new or like new condition.

i've heard that with hacylon your just buying a name from some others and that you can get the same thing without the name elsewhere.

I think you are confusing Halcyon with OMS...

I believe that for most of the major items Halcyon sells, Halcyon makes them. Halcyon gear is good quality (with the exception of the stainless steel inflators) but does tend to sit at the high end of the price spectrum. You can certainly get a very nice singles setup complete from Deep Sea Supply for less than $500. $500 for used gear is no bargain.

Halcyon did have problems w/ their SS inflators but has not used them for quite some time.

I have been diving a SS Halcyon backplate with a 40# Eclipse wing for a little over a year now. I have well over 100 dives on my set up and am extremely happy with it.

Halcyon does make quality gear. I believe pricing on a singles rig is about $695 and a doubles rig is about $665. Those are the prices at my local dealer anyway.

Noone can answer if Halcyon is worth it other than yourself. My wife and I both use their products and have had nothing but positive results with them. We both have a singles set up, and a I have a doubles rig. That's not to say that it's that much better than anything else on the market.

My advice would be to look at what you can get support for locally should you need it. And shop around a little bit.

As far as the price that you were offered goes, if the stuff is in good shape and is a complete rig it might be worth it.

Shane

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom