WTB: Housing for Sony TRV950 (Top Dawg II, L&M, others?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm toying with the idea of dabbling with video, but funds are kind of restricted right now. (Yes, I know this is something of a contradiction!)

I have a Sony TRV-950 3ccd miniDV camera I can put into service, but I'd need a housing for it. A little old, yes, but still a high quality SD camera that should turn out some nice results if I can get a housing for it without blowing a fortune. Looks like both the L&M Stingray II or Top Dawg II housings work with this cam, and may not be overly expensive, and of course Ikelite makes a long-discontinued housing, and probably some others, too.

So if anyone has one laying around gathering dust, or wants to dump theirs to move to HD, please drop me line!

:blinking:

Of course I have loved the Top Dawg and used these housings for the past 8 years. With mini-DV it is a great housing. I'm not 100% certain I can recommend it for HD though, Kalani. Your TRV 950 should be fine in it.

Of course I have loved the Top Dawg and used these housings for the past 8 years. With mini-DV it is a great housing. I'm not 100% certain I can recommend it for HD though, Kalani. Your TRV 950 should be fine in it.

Yup, that's all I'm looking for. If I could afford a whole new setup (meaning, a camera as good or better than my trv950 was when I bought it), it would need a different housing anyway.

I have a top dawg II with both the standard back and the monitor back, pelican case, lens cap, ulcs light arms, etc that I used with a trv-950 if you're still interested.

TRV950 is a good camcorder and it has been widely used among resorts for their videography for the visitors.

Am sure you will find it a great cam to be put to good use. Not sure if ikelite still carries but for the price will be good.

If you do not mind relying on the lights and filter, then simply go for any reasonable housing. Otherwise the other option is to look for a housing that offers a mechanism or control to do a manual white balance.

I used the MX500 which have been used in comparision with your TRV950 in the past ; in most of the reviews. Therefore, I see no reason that you should shelf your camcorder.

Make some search, I found a gates housing in one of the online stores just afew days ago.

Happy filming!!

I would like to get $650 and will throw in a URPro filter for your trv-950 also. Will send pictures if interested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom