Reef Location Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sigourneya

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
ok, this might be a stupid question, but I am unfortunately in charge of planning a beach dive this weekend. We would like to do John Lloyd State Park since we might do another bbq afterwards. Here is my question, I can't remember if we are able to swim to the reef from the state park. Is it feasible? I'm a :dork2:, I know, but since I no longer dive with someone who knows, I'm asking here. Would it be better to dive from the Dania Pier?
Also, is there a book or website that tells of beach dive locations here in South Florida?
Thanks!

The aerojacks are off the south end. Where Brent was talking about, you can dive straight out; to get to the jax you have to walk or swim pretty far south.

You can also dive off the big parking lot where the concession stand is.

Bottom line, if you swim East off the park you will find cool stuff. :)

When diving off John Lloyd, just be careful to see what your marks are coming back, it's not easy like it is off beaches where there are buildings. :)

I have dived the jacks from both John Lloyd and Dania. Pros and cons to both.
Dania is shorter, but not by much. Dania has parking meters, JLSP has an entrance fee. The walk to the water is shorter at Dania, but the swim is longer. The swim is easier (usually) from JLSP.

From Dania, swim NE till you are even with the end of the pier, then north. Keep swimming. You will eventually get there.

From JLSP, park in the first lot, walk over the bridge to the water and swim SEt ill you are even with the end of the pier, then south. Keep swimming, you will eventally get there.

i like the eventually get there parts on each one. But there is generally a reef out east in line with the pier, right?

Dania has a nice reef line south of the peir, the first reef line is around the end of the pier but the second reef (the good one) is out a bit further. North of the pier is the "Jacks" :wink:

Thanks for all the info guys! Looks like Sunday is going to be a better option though weather-wise and if I can get rid of this cold that I feel coming on(silly students-must start following them around with a lysol can:shakehead:.) We'll see:blinking:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom