Destin Jetties 4/25 4/26 4/28

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK, here is my first four day weekend dive attempt. I think I've paid all my dues to the weatherman so at least one of these days will be good. I'm also just getting over a cold from the weekend so that promises some measure of good health. I'll be bringing two tanks each day (walking slow with the sand yacht to keep my back in order). I may decide not to do dive number two if conditions aren't all that good.

I'll be attempting dives on Friday, Saturday, and Monday at the following times:

Friday - Out of the car and on the way to the water at noon-thirty
Saturday - Dead man walkin' to the water at 1:15 pm
Monday - Same story 2:45 pm

All are welcome to join in.

Just heard a rumor that an old enemy may be rearing it's ugly head - DREDGING in the pass. I'll be making a drive by tomorrow (if time permits) to see if this is true. I thought I had all the bases covered!!!!!!!

I'm dry this weekend to do some camping with some buddies, goodluck out there though, you've been in the water far less than necessary this year :D

Did a boat dive Sunday out of Destin. The beach around the jetties has sand piled about 5 to 6 foot high right now. I had already packed my camera back up or I would have gotten a picture. There is a bulldozer out there so I am sure they will eventually flatten it down....but right now, you would have to go straight to the water and walk on the waters edge to be able to reach the jetties. Not sure how the viz. will be. They were not dredging Sunday, so the water looked the best around the jetties I have seen it so far this year.

I would like to dive a day with you if possible...right now trying to get an ENT to look at my left ear AGAIN! Man, this thing is driving me crazy.

Just heard a rumor that an old enemy may be rearing it's ugly head - DREDGING in the pass. I'll be making a drive by tomorrow (if time permits) to see if this is true. I thought I had all the bases covered!!!!!!!

I think your rumor might be true.

this was in the Destin Log this morning

from Top Story: Is Destin dredging a drop in the ocean? | dredging, east, squeeze : TheDestinLog.com
Is Destin dredging a drop in the ocean?
Captains say latest effort falls short
April 22, 2008 - 11:51AM
Fraser Sherman

Dredging the East Pass navigation channel has helped with a tight squeeze, but it hasn’t solved the problem, Destin charter captains say.

“I would have liked to see more,” Captain Kelly Windes, a City Council member said Monday, “but I’m not griping. I think it’s helped us out.”

jzqhgf-dredging4.22.08.jpg

Last week, North Florida Diversified finished dredging 2,500 cubic yards of sand clogging the navigation channel and deposited it on Norriego Point, to help shore up the beach there against erosion. Sunday, a larger vessel — traveling between jobs in Mobile and Panama City — began a week-long dredging operation that will remove 30,000 to 50,000 cubic yards of sand from outside the channel. That vessel was delayed a week after its main tug failed.

City Manager Greg Kisela told The Log this sand will be deposited at the end of Holiday Isle as a “sand jetty” while the city seeks a state permit to use the sand for a protective berm in severely eroded areas such as Destin Pointe.

The city gave the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers $75,000 last year for the dredging, which is being done under a Corps’ permit. The Corps’ head office, however, delayed the dredging for almost a year. The project finally moved ahead after the Corps received a $229,000 earmark from Congress to carry it out.

The captains The Log spoke to said there is more to be done.

“They did kind of half of what they needed,” Captain Rex Walley of Sailing Adventures said. “They deepened the channel in approximately the north-south direction; they didn’t do anything in the east-west direction ... It’s still a very shallow draft.”

Captain Jim Westbrook of the New Florida Girl said about 20 percent of the sand deposited on the point has already washed back in the water, building up a new sandbar further out.

“It’s spectacularly hilarious,” Westbrook said. “You can tell when high tide comes in what he accomplished — he got some done, but not enough.”​

I got stuck at work today so I didn't make the recon run. I'll probably try again tomorrow to see what the damage is.

GFWB - I'm still nursing this cold, one of us has got to get healthy! :D

So what practical effect does this dredging have on diving the jetties?

So what practical effect does this dredging have on diving the jetties?

while they are dredging, the vis will suck more.... (short term problem).

short term effects on divers will only be affected slightly based on how much sand they suck out by the finger jetty. long term effects will be which ever way the sand blows afterwards....

Do you mean while they are actually running the machinery or while they are in the project? And how much more will it suck? Are we talking about knocking off viz from 30 to 20 feet or taking it down to 0 to 5? Reason I'm asking is I may be headed that way this weekend since our Clipper trip got blown out. I'm thinking about diving the Oriskany Friday and getting in beach dives Sat/Sun at Destin, Navarre, and Pcola.

GFWB - I'm still nursing this cold, one of us has got to get healthy! :D

You got that right...I have emailed DAN trying to find a good diving ENT in the Pensacola area. If anyone knows of one please let me know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom