Suunto Vyper 2 question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasully

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hope someone here can help me as I couldn't figure out the answer in the manual!

I dove Nitrox recently, and had no problem setting the computer for Nitrox, but I'm having a heck of time getting it back to Air.

In the Dive menu, my only options are NITROX, OFF, and GAUGE.

Any ideas? Is there some sub-menu I need to go to?

I can't figure this out. I have loads of friends with Suuntos but none w/ the Vyper 2, and my only complaint with this computer is that there is little consistency with the menus between models.

Thanks for your help!

Hope someone here can help me as I couldn't figure out the answer in the manual!

I dove Nitrox recently, and had no problem setting the computer for Nitrox, but I'm having a heck of time getting it back to Air.

In the Dive menu, my only options are NITROX, OFF, and GAUGE.

Any ideas? Is there some sub-menu I need to go to?

I can't figure this out. I have loads of friends with Suuntos but none w/ the Vyper 2, and my only complaint with this computer is that there is little consistency with the menus between models.

Thanks for your help!

While this doesn't exactly answer your question, why don't you do like I do and leave it on nitrox, just set it to 21%? I do this just so that I don't have to remember how to switch it :D

How recently ?

I suppose if it's still counting desat/surface for NITROX dive you can't revert back to AIR.

Haven't actually been in situation to take consecutive NITROX/AIR dives.

I suppose if it's still counting desat/surface for NITROX dive you can't revert back to AIR.
That is correct. On any Suunto computer, you can always switch from AIR mode to NITROX mode, but you can only switch back to AIR mode once the no-fly time has been completed. The no-fly time, meanwhile, is 12 hours or the desaturation time, whichever is longer. (Desat time can get up to 24-48 hours, depending on the dive series.)

(If you switch into GAUGE mode and make a dive, the no-fly time is set at a fixed 48 hours. You will not be able to switch into AIR or NITROX mode until 48 hours of surface time.)

You can always set your oxygen fraction to 21% if you dive air while in NITROX mode, of course. The two things to remember with the Vyper2 are that *unlike* the Gekko (for example), the computer will *not* revert to 21% automatically after a certain period, and *like every Suunto computer*, you *NEVER* round the oxygen percentage up. (31.9% oxygen should be entered as 31, not as 32. See section 6.2.1 on page 30 in the manual [pdf].)

Aha! Even though when I say I dove Nitrox "recently", I mean last month, but it wasn't until into yesterday's first tank that I realized I was on Nitrox, so I couldn't change it for the 2nd dive, and I couldn't change it last night, either, for the reason stated above! I just tried again this morning
and VOILA! AIR is an option.

Excellent! THANKS!
:)

Again, WHY put it into "Air Mode"? If you ever dive nitrox, leave it permanently in "Nitrox mode" and just set it to 21% for your air dives. Silly all this switching, especially if you have to deal with mode lock outs.

Again, WHY put it into "Air Mode"? If you ever dive nitrox, leave it permanently in "Nitrox mode" and just set it to 21% for your air dives. Silly all this switching, especially if you have to deal with mode lock outs.
If you leave a Vyper2 in nitrox mode, you *must* get in the habit of checking (and if necessary, setting) the O2 percentage before each dive. While the basic-level Gekko precludes this by resetting to 21% after a few hours (meaning it will be effectively in "basically air" mode by the next outing), the Vyper2 will retain the nitrox mix settings.

If a diver doesn't turn on and check the Vyper2 before the dive, instead just starting the dive and letting the computer self-activate as they cross 4 feet deep, they could find that they have it set to a richer nitrox mix than they are actually diving (eg. perhaps 32% instead of 21%). This would underestimate their nitrogen loading, perhaps significantly. By returning to air mode, they preclude a lack of attention from becoming a potentially dangerous miscalculation.

It's certainly a good idea to *always* activate your computer before you hit the water, even if it can self-activate. Also, once you dive nitrox, you should *always* check your computer's nitrox settings before each and every dive. If you're only an occasional nitrox diver, returning to air mode is just another bit of "just in case" to help keep you from getting in a heap of trouble if you miss a step.

Incidentally, with Suunto computers, if your computer just ticks over into dive mode, and you see you've forgotten to set the mix (perhaps you're diving shallow air after a deep nitrox dive), you must return to the surface and wait. After *five minutes*, the computer will tick back over into surface mode, and *then* it will let you set the correct O2 settings.

(If you're diving a richer mix, i.e. more O2 and less N2, you could just note your MOD and dive it with the reduced NDL your mistake gives you. If you're diving a mix with *more* N2, the dive computer will underestimate your nitrogen loading if you continue the dive. The prudent thing is to kick yourself for not setting it as you wait for the five minute timer to elapse so you can correct it and get on with the dive. If you only notice well into the dive, well, please be conservative with your bottom time, ascent, and stops...)

If you leave a Vyper2 in nitrox mode, you *must* get in the habit of checking (and if necessary, setting) the O2 percentage before each dive. While the basic-level Gekko precludes this by resetting to 21% after a few hours (meaning it will be effectively in "basically air" mode by the next outing), the Vyper2 will retain the nitrox mix settings.

If a diver doesn't turn on and check the Vyper2 before the dive, instead just starting the dive and letting the computer self-activate as they cross 4 feet deep, they could find that they have it set to a richer nitrox mix than they are actually diving (eg. perhaps 32% instead of 21%). This would underestimate their nitrogen loading, perhaps significantly. By returning to air mode, they preclude a lack of attention from becoming a potentially dangerous miscalculation.

It's certainly a good idea to *always* activate your computer before you hit the water, even if it can self-activate. Also, once you dive nitrox, you should *always* check your computer's nitrox settings before each and every dive. If you're only an occasional nitrox diver, returning to air mode is just another bit of "just in case" to help keep you from getting in a heap of trouble if you miss a step.

Incidentally, with Suunto computers, if your computer just ticks over into dive mode, and you see you've forgotten to set the mix (perhaps you're diving shallow air after a deep nitrox dive), you must return to the surface and wait. After *five minutes*, the computer will tick back over into surface mode, and *then* it will let you set the correct O2 settings.

(If you're diving a richer mix, i.e. more O2 and less N2, you could just note your MOD and dive it with the reduced NDL your mistake gives you. If you're diving a mix with *more* N2, the dive computer will underestimate your nitrogen loading if you continue the dive. The prudent thing is to kick yourself for not setting it as you wait for the five minute timer to elapse so you can correct it and get on with the dive. If you only notice well into the dive, well, please be conservative with your bottom time, ascent, and stops...)

Um, I guess if remembering to set it each dive is too hard, then yes, "Air Mode" might be best.

Um, I guess if remembering to set it each dive is too hard, then yes, "Air Mode" might be best.
Oh, don't be too hard on vacation divers. You have to remember that they have to suffer on those unimaginably long surface intervals. It's only natural to be a bit rusty after that much time away from the welcoming waves. :D

Oh, don't be too hard on vacation divers. You have to remember that they have to suffer on those unimaginably long surface intervals. It's only natural to be a bit rusty after that much time away from the welcoming waves. :D

Yeah, I do try to avoid those types of SIs!

Back
Top Bottom