Anybody recently traveling on Cathay Pacific have their carry-on weighed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

silent running

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just checking as I have never flown on CP before. I usually bring my rebreather in a wheeled carry-on which weighs about 30lbs. Singapore Airlines never did in 7 pacific trips, I hope CP doesn't either. I have found that as long as it's in a wheeled bag they don't show much interest as they can't gage how heavy it is.

Thanks in advance for any recent CP flyer info... -Andy

Have not flown CP for many years.

If you are traveling with someone else, have them hold on to your carry on for you while check in. Maybe no one will notice. I had my carry on weighed at check-in four years ago at LAX Bradley International Terminal on Malaysia Airlines. I had to remove a few things and put them in my checked luggage.

Every airport and airline is different. What airport are you flying out of???

This is what their web site says
The total weight entitlements of your cabin baggage are as follows:

* First Class/Invitation, Diamond tier members - 15kg (33 lbs)
* Business Class/Gold, Silver tier members - 10kg (22 lbs)
* Economy Class - 7kg (15lbs)

For all classes, each passenger (except an infant) can bring a free baggage allowance of one cabin bag not exceeding 56x36x23cm (22x14x9 in) in size. These dimensions include wheels, handles and side pockets.

We flew them from LAX-HKG-DPS and return last November. I had a max sized carry-on, in the form of a rectangular backpack, fairly heavily loaded. We were in the el cheapo economy class, and our carry-ons were much heavier than the allowable limit. No one ever asked about it. I don't think it's a big issue with them, unless you seriously abuse the limit. If you're going to get onto a commuter airline at the other end, different story.

Nice airline ... not exactly Singapore Air, but then their fares are a lot less. But a lot nicer than what I've heard about China Airlines.

Don't know about Cathay, but my carry-on was weighed by Singapore Air.

I just got back from Indonesia. My legal sized wheeled carryon was weighed in Newark. It was also put into the sizing cage which it failed because the wheels didn't fit. It failed the 15 pound weight limit miserably so I had to check it.

Speaking with other members of our group, I was the only one it happened to.

Have not flown CP for many years.

If you are traveling with someone else, have them hold on to your carry on for you while check in. Maybe no one will notice. I had my carry on weighed at check-in four years ago at LAX Bradley International Terminal on Malaysia Airlines. I had to remove a few things and put them in my checked luggage.

Every airport and airline is different. What airport are you flying out of???

This is what their web site says
The total weight entitlements of your cabin baggage are as follows:

* First Class/Invitation, Diamond tier members - 15kg (33 lbs)
* Business Class/Gold, Silver tier members - 10kg (22 lbs)
* Economy Class - 7kg (15lbs)

For all classes, each passenger (except an infant) can bring a free baggage allowance of one cabin bag not exceeding 56x36x23cm (22x14x9 in) in size. These dimensions include wheels, handles and side pockets.

Hi Alan, thanks for the post. I am flying out of JFK in New York.

I flew CP in July 2007, and my carry-on was not weighed. It is a good-sized backback, and sure seems like it weighs more than 15 lbs. The only bad part of the CP travel was the LAX waiting area outside the CP gate -- it was next to the gate for another Asia-bound 747 that was leaving at about the same time as my flight, and even floor space to sit was in short supply for the 750+ people.

Guess I'll find out in October if the weight rule has changed, since I'm booked on CP again.

I fly Cathay a lot and leaving Manila for Canada last time they gave me a hassle about having two carry ons but didn't weigh my 40lb camera backpack. I went back to the counter and they told the other guy to let me through. I'm a Marco Polo member so that might have had something to do with it but I carry a photographers vest just in case, it's light and packs small. If there is a real problem I can always wear the extra weight. I've never had a problem flying from Canada back here.

Other Asian airlines like Singapore and Malaysia are more strict.

I fly Cathay about every year to Asia and don't recall every getting my carry on weighed, but there is always a first, especially with the way these airlines are lately?

I just flew from Denpasar to Hong Kong and EVERYTHING got weighed. I had the rebreather in a storm case and camera gear in another. They also weighed my soft luggage as well. CP charges overage per Kg rather than extra pieces of luggage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom