A Tough Decision...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joeSteve1006

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,
I'm buying my first gear and came across a tricky decision. I can't decide between gauges or a computer. I am a beginning diver and currently only dive Air. The gauges are certainly cheaper, but I think I may want to do Nitrox eventually, so any computer would have to do Nitrox and Air, making it much more expensive. I would like it to have a compass, but can not decide between the computer and the Gauges. Any advice?
Thanks,
Joe

I read somewhere it is always best to buy gear that you can grow into. You don't want to have any regrets down the track when your spending a lot of money on gear.

Having said that though there are times I wish I had an analogue gauge, only for backup though. I dive with the AI Suunto Cobra but I currently do not have a backup computer and I sometimes worry as to what happens if my computer dies. I then have no way of telling how much air I have. Even if I buy a backup computer now I still wont have another air reading (unless I get an wireless AI wrist style computer). If I had the money when I got my gear I would have bought a pressure gauge with compass, then a Suunto D9 or one of the other AI ones.

I suggest a small console with SPG and depth gauge. there are some really compact ones on the market. Then get what ever you want for a computer...if it dies...you are still in control. Just my 2 cents.

Joe, I believe you would find going with a nitrox computer up front to be a good decision in the long run. It was/is for me.
I have the Suunto Gekko wrist-mounted, with a wrist-mounted compass on the other arm (left or right, take your pick...). No console, just an SPG.
I don't know what your budget is, but entry-level nitrox computers such as the Gekko can be found in the mid-200s, compass is 30-50, SPG is 60-80 or so.
Scott

Maybe you could look at a pressure, depth and compass console when you are ready you can upgrade to a computer that will replace the depth guage in your console. Oceanic has a unit like that and I am pretty sure Sherwood has one too. I bet Aeris has one as well.

If you want a great Nitrox computer on the cheap, but a used Aeries Atmos II.

IMO put your compass, and computer on the wrist. Put an SPG on the belt, and you are good to go. If you spend some more bucks, then you can even do AI on the wrist, but I leave an SPG on on my first stage even when diving with an AI computer.

IMO avoid consoles, however some folks I dive with like them, but not many.

Easy decision.

You need a watch and a pressure guage.

As a new diver, you won't have a breathing rate most likely that would let you stay long enough to need the calculations of a computer. You'll be out of gas long before you run out of bottom time.

Why do you need a compass? As a new diver you shouldn't be diving in water where you have to navigate by bearing only. Buddies get seperated in water like that. Not good.

I did my first 30 or 35 dives with an analog depth gauge, a watch, and pressure guage. Best thing I could have ever done. I quickly learned that I hardly needed the pressure guage. The watch was sufficient if I watched my depth and time.

Hi all,
I'm buying my first gear and came across a tricky decision. I can't decide between gauges or a computer. I am a beginning diver and currently only dive Air. The gauges are certainly cheaper, but I think I may want to do Nitrox eventually, so any computer would have to do Nitrox and Air, making it much more expensive. I would like it to have a compass, but can not decide between the computer and the Gauges. Any advice?
Thanks,
Joe

Hi Joe,

When I first bought my gear back in 1990, I opted to buy one of the first computers on the market. It was expensive comparatively back then but I'm glad I did it. It made diving so much more enjoyable. It's great to know tables, but the object of diving is to have fun. The computer did its job by calculating my bottom time and remembering my dive. Spring for the computer, you'll be glad you did. When you're under the surface you won't be thinking of the money you spent, just that you're having a great time.

Also, I think a compass is a must have. My communication with my buddy always ends up with signs for certain headings. Helps to keep us together. We follow the dive plan, but sometimes you need to recalculate for the current. Use it enough and you will have a 6th sense of where you are under the surface by looking at your compass and gauging the current.

dd

Probably fair to say that the answer is dependent on your diving environment. Divin' dog is exactly right. If you diving is like his (most likely). If it's like mine, then you need to assess that.

Using gauges you are forced to keep using tables and what you learned in scuba class. A properly used computer lets you forget the tables and allows more bottom time if you are doing multiple dives. Get a 'puter if you can afford it, or be happy with the gauges for a while and eventually get a comp. If you decide on a computer get nitrox capable and air integration is preferred.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom