Tight or loose line when during wreck penetration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
Just read a pissing match on another board regarding whether the wreck penetration line should be tight, or left with a little slack, between each tie-off point within the wreck. The argument given for leaving some slack between each tie-off was that wrecks are a dynamic environment, and some slack should be left because the wreck will move about in surge etc, and a tight line is prone to snapping. A loose line will have some play in it, and be less likely to snap.

In MechDiver's words, I thought "Horsepucky" - if the wreck's moving, you shouldn't be penetrating it, and an inch or two of slack isn't likely to make much difference to the line snapping if it's tied to two different moving pieces of wreck(!), and a slack line is likely to fall from a tie-off point.

So what's the general opinion of some wreck divers?

[edit] - typo fixed

not "guitar string tight" but definitely more towards tight than loose. Maybe "snug" would be a proper word.

Loose lines float around too much with water movement and you are much more likely to get in "false exit" scenarios where the line gets caught in a crack or similar. I understand this can happen in caves also.

WW

Positive line placement requires a taught line. Nylon line has quite a bit of stretch between "no slack" and its breaking point. A loose line is trouble waiting to ensnare you.
Rick

Snug is nice, don't need any more little floaty things doing macrame' work on my tank valves.
I also have this bad habit of using a flat braided poly line no smaller than 3/16". Never did trust that nylon kite string stuff.
Poly floats if snapped/cut, you can look for it on the overhead vs having to grope for a sunken nylon one.

... 'll be guaranteed to find line traps. The last thing you want in a zero-vis problem is to follow a line that runs out of reach.

Also; I would think water movement was more of an issue than wreck movement. Water movement with a loose line has a much greater chance of getting it resting on a sharp piece of metal. one wrong tug and 'snip'.

Guess it really was just a pissing match - there's no argument.

Now for the floating line versus sinking line argument they had... :boom:

Back
Top Bottom