Ibuprofen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquasport

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My knee is not good. Going diving saturday was wondering if motrin 400-600 per dose is safe while diving. Has there been threads on this topic i will talk to my doctor but was wondering if there are divers that use it.

My knee is not good. Going diving saturday was wondering if motrin 400-600 per dose is safe while diving. Has there been threads on this topic i will talk to my doctor but was wondering if there are divers that use it.
If you are not in a reasonable physical condition to dive with confidence don't mask it up with medication - you should really be considering whether you are going to dive this time or sit it out. There is a reason your body is telling you that it is not happy and by suppressing that message by using meds you're likely going to do more damage than good even though you might not feel it that much IMHO. I'd get to my doctor and discuss this face to face with him/her and get a clear answer. I know it bites but don't be reluctant to sit it out if what you really need is time so I could heal properly and rather avoid damage that could lead to emergencies underwater or potentially prevent you from diving for the rest of the season perhaps. :coffee:

I have read no data that says ibuprofen is unsafe to take wlile diving.

I'm not giving medical advice, and since it is Saturday evening when I type this you've probably already made the decision to dive or not, or at least talked to your doctor.

I don't know what you mean when you say your "knee is not good," nor do I care. Personally I've used 400 mg of Ibuprofen every 4-6 hours on my unimpressive total of 44 dives in the past year. Why? Pain is a constant companion whether I'm diving or not. I've had a knee reconstructed from a karate injury. I have severe arthritis in a hip that was dislocated 30 years ago in a motorcycle accident. My lower back is a mess from over 2200 flight hours sitting on rock-hard ejection seats in Navy jets, plus three car accidents, two motorcycle accidents, and more bicycle crashes than I can remember (except the ones that required stitches).

I've used Ibuprofen on dives in cold water, tropical water, dives to 100 fsw, high altitude dives in Lake Tahoe, and week long trips of 2-3 dives a day.

Have I been cleared medically to dive? Yes. Was I asked to list the medications I take? Yes.

I may die tomorrow from a heart attack from taking Ibuprofen, a NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug), but those little pills have allowed me to enjoy life to the fullest and wince a little less while doing the things almost everyone else takes for granted, like walking. Aspirin does not work for me, nor does Tylenol.

What I wrote is not medical advice in any form, just personal experience. You always have to make the choice to dive or not given your condition after doing your research and talking to the right people. Meds are just another factor in the decision process.

I have used the drug many times when diving with no problems. Some people routinely take it before diving because they think it reduces the liklihood of an inflamatory response associated with decompression stress..

I take two ibuprofen every morning for general maintenance purposes,was doctor recommendedalso take gloscimine every morning to help rebuild the joints,this stuff really works but you have to take it daily.

I've used all the over the counter pain relievers while diving with no problems. I'm not you though. Do you have any side effects using it on land?

I take 600 MG quite often before diving and have no problems at all.

You can take ibup. No problem. As the rest of the guys say, we all do it. (cheez, we are one hell of a long mileage Team!)

Back
Top Bottom