Destin Jetties dive report and pics 4/25/08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Gulf-Gulper and I got a little late start but we made it to the parking area at the jetties just in time to get a good spot near the entrance. We decided to survey the dredging situation before dragging the gear up the new sand mountain. The dredges were gone and only a set of pipes were left floating a distance off shore. We went back to the Jeep and loaded the sand yacht. The walk was not great but could have been worse. There were lots of fishermen trying to take advantage of the newly cut channel near the finger jetty. We saw only one private boat with divers and they were coming out as we began our dive. Viz was good at about 25' but silty (probably from the dredging). Water temp was 71 degrees with very little current. The place is crawling with blue crabs. We saw a couple of nice sheephead but were so entertained by the blues that we didn't even make it out to the first anchor. GG wasn't able to make the second dive so I went solo and found what is left of the anchor - just a spike sticking out of the sand. They must have dreged the channel further out than where we dive. From the anchor on South is just sand like it has been. I turned at the anchor and headed up the South side of the finger jetty. There had been many fishing boats lining up along the new cut and after the first dive I wondered what they were fishing for, bait? When I got close to the jetty I found out what they were looking for. A huge school of sheephead were hanging out there. There were a couple nice grouper as well. A small school of spade fish showed up too. When the dive was over, GG said he had seen a pod of dolphin right near me - I never saw them but I guess they were fishing too. A remix of my pictures is attached below - enjoy.

Nice to see the vis is better out there at the jetties, i was worried it would get worse with the dredging. Maybe i'll be out there next weekend, nice pictures btw.

Dang Bill, I go to the Jetties 4 or 5 times since you have been....and the best viz. I get is 10ft. Your first time back you get good viz and FISH! Oh well, glad you had a good dive. Still trying to get the ear issue resolved so I can get back in the water. Thanks for the pictures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom