Help a brother (diver) out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kentmorrdave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Thanks in advance. I will be flying into FLL November 4-11, 2008. 9 of my last 10 dive trips have been to Cozumel, with a trip to St. Croix, which used mooring bouys, in between. I enjoy drift diving and "valet' type dive ops. I want to do 6 days of two tank a.m. and maybe some p.m. trips. AOW, good air consumption, etc. Brother Conch, how would you spend the week? I have a non diving wife, who loves to read a book by the pool. A couple days in FLL or Boynton Beach/ Jupiter , and/or the week in Key Largo/Islamorada? I have 140 dives, but all with dive masters, outside a couple dozen quarry dives. Is a DM necessary in the area, or with a moored boat not necessary? Any recommendations of a hotel/diveop package is also appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Home - Kentmorr Restaurant

I'd say with 140 dives, you can certainly shrug off diving with a DM, but they are available down here if if makes you comfortable. There is a sticky in the FL Conch Diver area that has tons of local info for visitors.

If it were up to me, I'd head ot the keys for the week. Your wife should find plenty to do down there. There is a different dive operator every block down here. And with that, there are different opiniions for all of them. Ft. Lauderdale does have great diving though. Really, you can't go wrong.

Go to the Keys ....
pm Becky here on scubaboard her name is speargirl and she manages condos in Kawamas Yacth Club ... she will set you up with a great place to stay and relax.
Conch Republic divers is top of the line, and Beacky will give discount on the room if you dive with them :wink:
Have fun, be safe
Kim P

Dave. In Fort Lauderdale try the American Dream 2. They are a very good charter that offer 2 tank dives in the am and pm if you choose to do both. Normally a wreck dive on the first tank and then a drift dive on the second. As for Islamorada I cant speak for havent made it that far yet. Either way you may see me there.

2 More days until Im underwater in Venice!!

Generally speaking a dm or guide is not needed unless there is a situation requires it.For example if you were doing a deep dive in the keys and have not had a deep dive (greater than 80') in a certain time period some operators will require one.For that you would have to check with the specific operator.
That is the main reason for a guide, unless you dont feel comfortable in certain areas, and that would be up to you.

Other than that I would use the recomendations of above.Depending upon where you go for your trip, there is an assortment of boats up and down the east coast of Florida, and some use drift and some moor. It all depends on where you go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom