Oriskany trip report 4/26

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefHound

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My group of 4 from CHUM club in Houston hit town for a weekend of diving. We had three great offshore dives Friday and I'll report on them later. Today we went out with Dr Dive with Capt. Jim and Eric (Oriskany Divemaster). I'll add a few pics later if any are worthwhile.

I must admit when we saw the boat yesterday we were concerned it would be cramped and no respite from the sun. We couldn't see it was a walkaround console and had plenty of comy bow space. We had plenty of space and I liked the method of each diver storing their items in their bucket, kept little things from sprawling across the boat.

We had 2-3 foot seas on the way out and caught air a few times but there was never any doubt about going. On site were 3 or 4 other boats, mild current, and about 70' viz. Water temp was in upper 60's at depth. 3 of us had been here several times so we took the virgin to the deck so he could be deflowered. After a brief photo op we ascended to the bridge and control rooms where banded butterfly had taken over a few control panel boxes. The time on the deck had taken it's toll on our ndl and air so we spiraled up to the top then over to our ascent line.

Surface interval was spent laughing at some people in a private boat try for 30 minutes to tie into a buoy, with a guy in no suit probably freezing his safety sausage off. Seas had calmed down to slow 1 footers with an occasional lazy two.

Second dive we descended to 110' (our tie-in was at 106') and entered the tower. That dive was spent exploring the couple of rooms on each level before proceeding up the stair, till we exited at a level below the top. Even though we were experienced, Eric was always hanging around keeping an eye out, a couple of times I'd pass by a opening and he'd be looking in and we'd exchange ok signals. I went into deco after exiting while waiting for the other buddy team to exit (damn my suunto) so enjoyed an extra 5 minutes hang time.

It was a great day on the water, the ride back in smooth and fast, but once again I was lax with the spf and got lobstered.

Eric, it was a joy to go out with you and great conversation, I'll look you up next time I'm in the area.

Glad you had a good day. I got lobstered yesterday at the jetties - I took today off to let the solar collector on my shoulders heal a little :D.

Great write up!!

Post pics when you have a chance.

Enjoyed your write up. A group of us from Macon Ga is heading down this weekend. I'm hoping the next four day pass quickly. Friday we'll stop off at Vortex for a couple of dives and then its on to Pensacola and very early wake up call to be o the dock at 6am. From you reported I won't need any coffee, the ride out will get the adrenalin going.

Great read reefhound, glad you guys got out there for a few good ones.

Thanks for the great report! Sounds like fun and I've definitely got to do this dive one of these days. Few quesitons: what size tanks did you use and what runtimes did you get? Assuming you were on air as you mention.

I used the term air generically, we were on 30% nitrox using LP 95's. I'll have to check the log but dive times were about 30 minutes. We came up with conservative margins. I'm used to diving AL80's where a given psi is less gas.

Reefhound,

Thanks for the props! It was great diving with you and the guys from CHUM. You made my job way too easy that day--almost criminal, so thank you. I look forward to diving with you again.

Eric

Reefhound,

Really enjoyed having y'all aboard. Great divers all and great company on the boat. Really looking forward to having you guys and your fellow Chummers on the boat many times again. When I get to Texas, I will definitely look you up and maybe we can make it out to the Flower Garden Banks for a busman's holiday. Thanks for the great write up and y'all come back to see us soon.

Capt. Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom