Suunto Mosquito battery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geordieboy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there,

Can anybody tell me the best way to get the battery replaced on a Suunto Mosquito? I've done the search for batteries, and found various info about battery ktis and o-rings etc. but not sure exactly what I should buy? Can anybody help? (I'm UK based by the way if anybody is thinking of recommending any replacement centres.)

Cheers

Can anybody tell me the best way to get the battery replaced on a Suunto Mosquito? I've done the search for batteries, and found various info about battery ktis and o-rings etc. but not sure exactly what I should buy? Can anybody help? (I'm UK based by the way if anybody is thinking of recommending any replacement centres.)
Check out YouTube - DIY Suunto Mosquito Battery Change
If you want to reuse your old O-ring be sure to inspect it very carefully for any wear and tear. If there's anything frayed or torn or worn - replace it. If not you can lubricate it with a little bit of silicon lube gel (not silicon sealant) and reuse it so you do not have to buy a battery kit. Then just get the battery (CR2032) and reuse the old battery spacer. I would not reuse an old O-ring more than once and only if it's in excellent condition. Despite the fact that you can reuse a in good condition O-ring, I would however strongly urge you to get the battery replacement kit which comes with a new battery, new lubricated O-ring, new battery spacer (that golden radiation-sign-looking thingy you can see in the video), and a new plastic seal cover. If this procedure is not done properly using materials in good condition you run the increased risk of having your dive computer flood on the dive and then you will be paying way more than just getting a new battkit to sort things out. I've replaced my wife's mosquito battery many times and the YouTube video pretty much shows it all - also see the instructions below the kit contents description here. If you have any doubts contact one of the Suunto's service centers and ask for advice.

Check out the Suunto Dealer locator here to see where you can get it either sent to/taken to if you want to have it done professionally or order battery kits from.
:coffee:

I'll second that! I've replaced my Mosquito's battery twice now (but a warranty replacement meant that the one I have now has been replaced once).

I'll probably replace the battery one more time (i.e., removing/replacing the cover a total of twice) before getting a battery kit and a new cover. The force to replace the cover is enough to slightly deform the slot for the quarter (or whatever is your equivalent coin in the UK) and I wouldn't want to chance stripping the slot.

-Rob

Thansk very much melicertes and rab, both very helpful. I've just ordered the CR2032 after taking the back off and seeing that the o-ring and back are still in top notch condition (unfortunately seen little action since purchasing it...). Next one will be the battery kit.

I've changed the battery twice in my wife's and I think you can get the same battery at a drugstore, in fact I did the last change in Mexico and found a battery there. There is nothing special about the batteries they use, except the price...:D

It's not the battery you should be overly worried about (those are a dime-a-dozen,) it's the condition of that O-ring. That's what will keep your computer from flooding under pressure and if it's junked you're in for a potential vacation spoiler.

It's not the battery you should be overly worried about (those are a dime-a-dozen,) it's the condition of that O-ring. That's what will keep your computer from flooding under pressure and if it's junked you're in for a potential vacation spoiler.

O-rings are a dime a dozen also. Actually they are $1.00 a piece, at least for my Stinger. I have been changing my own battery and O-ring in my Stinger for awhile now. Just take the old o-ring to an o-ring shop and they can match and measure it exactly. No problem.:D

O-rings are a dime a dozen also. Actually they are $1.00 a piece, at least for my Stinger. I have been changing my own battery and O-ring in my Stinger for awhile now. Just take the old o-ring to an o-ring shop and they can match and measure it exactly. No problem.:D
This is true also. I thought the Stinger is a sealed unit that you have to send in [edit: to a repair center] for battery replacement?

This is true also. I thought the Stinger is a sealed unit that you have to send in [edit: to a repair center] for battery replacement?

It is very easy to change once you know how. It is not sealed, you just need the right tool to open it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom