Trip report 4/25 - YDT/Pete Tide/Russian

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefHound

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My group of 4 from CHUM club in Houston hit town for a weekend of diving. We drove overnight and arrived in town in time to have a hot breakfast and be at the dock by 6:30am. We went out with Bluwater Adventures, under Capt. Dave and divemaster CJ.

We had 2 foot seas on the way out and made good time. First stop was the YDT Navy tenders, don't remember if it was #14 or #15. After 3 of us were in the water the captain determined we had come off the wreck and towed us on the tag line a bit. That was an interesting ride and I'm glad I had my camera and light secured with bolt snaps. We also saw a shark swimming around apparently interested in this boat that was trolling with human bait. We finally stopped and dropped and followed the anchor tracks a short distance to the wreck. Vis was about 40 feet with very mild current and temps upper 60's. Didn't really see a lot of big life on it but I love military wrecks for themselves. Structure is intact but we did no penetration. Just general observation and exploration, a relaxing dive.

Second dive was on the Pete Tide and viz was a bit lower at 30 feet with more particulate matter. The anchor had come off and we swam quite a ways following the tracks before finding the ship. Explored the holds and general observation. Seemed to be a bit more fish life here. I wasn't looking forward to the long swim back to the anchor and was about to signal an early return when I spotted a recently lost anchor and line beside the bridge. So we played around a bit more then tied a lift bag to the line and sent it up. Thought maybe the captain would appreciate an extra anchor. Tons of spades around us as we did our safety stop. Top current was stiff and kept dragging the bag under so we boarded and the DM went in to cut the bag loose. It was pulled under about 20 feet and she was having trouble getting it so I threw on my kit quickly and went down and cut it loose.

Third dive was on the Russian freighter. I was surprised at how disintegrated it was but delighted to see how much life was on it. No wonder so many spearos come here. Tons of fishing weights lying around. Another lost anchor, this time we let it be. Caught a glimpse of a bull shark at one point. Saw the telltale signs of octopus dens but didn't actually see them. Saw some huge flounder and was tempted to poke one with my knife but it was early in the dive and I had no stringer. There was no current and my buddy and I were having such a relaxed dive we lost track of our whereabouts. Eventually spotted some landmarks we remembered and found the ascent line as air was running low.

It was a great day on the water but I forgot to use sunblock and got fried. After driving overnight and diving all day, we headed to the condo and hit the sack early.

It was indeed though I had hoped to get in more beach diving. But "Ah'll be Back!".

Another great report! You guys hit like every op in the area, nice!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom