Who should take DIRF

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

animian2002

Contributor
Reaction score
I have read abt DIR/DIRF from here and I notice that most of the time, the participants are either very experienced recreational divers or cave divers. I have yet to read abt newbie taking DIRF though they are allowed to take :D and I wonder why :huh:

:hmmm: just out of curiorsity :thinkof:

Who do you guys think best suit to take DIRF and why ?? :confused:

Everyone can take DIR-F...I think the reason there aren't a lot of newbies doing it is for the simple fact that they don't know about it. Hell they're letting me of all people take the class....and I think O-ring has gone through twice...

You just have to have a long hose and the text....then the will to have an open mind.

Anyone can and should. These are all really good skills to learn no matter what level of diving you are doing or want to progress too. Maybe an newer OW diver will be able to pick them up quicker because they haven't been diving for a while and don't have the "bad habits" engrained yet.

Eric

You should... because you will learn valuable skills such as buoyancy control under stress and task loading, non-silting fin kicks and many others that will be of great benefit for even your recreational diving.

and I think O-ring has gone through twice...
Only once... I agree with the others. Nothing will improve your diving like a DIRF and it will definitely expose you to the skills required should you decide to pursue technical diving.

ericfine50 once bubbled...
Anyone can and should
Eric

I don't see how this will hold true after June. If accomplished divers are getting so bummed out taking the class now, what will happen to a novice once it becomes a pass/fail class?

MD

I took the DIRF class in November with only 40+ dives under my belt. Within those 40+ dives I had reached Rescue certification. The reason I turned to GUE for training was because I didn't feel like I was really learning anything and that my training was not helping me be a better diver. I went into the class enthusiastic about DIR but skeptical about GUE, only because of my previous experiences with training. The class provided me with direction. The skills that are taught will carry through to everything I do in my diving. The mindset, philosophy, and approach to diving that GUE and DIR instill in divers is the greatest benefit though. The students in my class ranged from me (the newbie) to guys who had been cave diving for years to an instructor who was curious about it. We all walked about with the same feeling...we have a lot to learn, but it's do-able and very beneficial. From my experiences around other divers after the class I find there are two reasons why people don't pursue DIR - one, they don't know about it, and two, when they see the equipment configuration they interpret it as "tech only." DIR is not tech only. So there's some feedback from a newbie.

MechDiver once bubbled...
If accomplished divers are getting so bummed out taking the class now, what will happen to a novice once it becomes a pass/fail class?

I've been thinking about this.

The jist I've gotten from people is that they go out; take the class; and take the information they receive and practice/practice/practice.

The Pass/Fail part of it only matters if you need to pass it as a prereq to other GUE classes.

If you take it just to take it; and you fail; do you get less out of it then if you take it now and learn about everything you need to work on?

Of course MHK mentioned they are considering allowing audits, in which case you don't have to worry about the self-esteem issue of failing :)

MechDiver once bubbled...

I don't see how this will hold true after June. If accomplished divers are getting so bummed out taking the class now, what will happen to a novice once it becomes a pass/fail class?

MD

My perspective of this is that other agencies offer "pass/fail" courses and people are not deterred by that. They just accept it as the way the agency does things. People will walk away from a DIRF class with a greater knowledge and understanding, a different perspective of their skills. It is very, very hard for every diver to accept that they might need improvement. Especially those who have been doing it for awhile. I saw that in my class. Speaking as a novice, GUE presents a bar of performance that motivates me - it does not deter me. But I also know that not everyone will see it the same as me. I believe that GUE's decision to make the DIRF a cert class is a good move because it will ensure that when a diver progresses to the next step, the foundation necessary to handle the next step will already be there. Imagine taking a cave course, but not having buoyancy under control, or being proficient in kicks. It's like taking a Calculus class without being proficient in arithmetic.

I concur, I believe the pass/fail is simply added since the technical classes rely on people being able to perform certain skills, taking the class does not ensure this.

As far as the suit goes, DIR in general recommend a shell suit with large bellows pockets on both legs. I prefer a self donning suit. The suit should be cut so that it fits well, but allows you to easily work on valves during drills.

Cheers,
Wet Dane

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom