West Palm, Boynton or Jupiter ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Planning on doing a long weekend dive trip over Memorial Day weekend.

Been to the Keys several times for long weekend trips and been hearing recommendations to do Palm Beach. I'm an experienced recreational diver, advanced and nitrox cert. Interested in seeing fish and animal life, not really into wrecks. Been all over the Caribbean and just got back from a great 12 day liveaboard in Indonesia.

Can someone describe how the diving in West Palm, Boynton and Jupiter compare to one another ?

Planning on doing a long weekend dive trip over Memorial Day weekend.

Been to the Keys several times for long weekend trips and been hearing recommendations to do Palm Beach. I'm an experienced recreational diver, advanced and nitrox cert. Interested in seeing fish and animal life, not really into wrecks. Been all over the Caribbean and just got back from a great 12 day liveaboard in Indonesia.

Can someone describe how the diving in West Palm, Boynton and Jupiter compare to one another ?

None of them suck but for someone looking for the best reefs, I'd say Boynton reigns for those long nitrox dives in 55-75' and is hard to beat. Jupiter has it going on for the more frequent large animal encounters but the dives are deeper (and shorter as a result).

Why not try Boynton on one day and either West Palm or Jupiter on the other? You'll get a good variety of excellent diving. Hell from Boynton to Jupiter is only a 30 minute drive. Enjoy! I love it here!!!

Jupiter is best for Large animals if you want to see Sharks, Goliaths, Turtles etc. ALL of our dives are over 60 feet and we usually dive in 80 to 90. On my boat you are not restricted on bottom time but are responsible to be a good diver and follow your computer. You are given adequate surface interval so that most of our dives run arounf 45 minutes. Dive all the cities. Get to know them all as long as you are down.

West Palm ~ Shallower reefs, and not as dramatic vs. Boynton, or Jupiter. Lots of Turtles, your best chance at seeing a good amount of Turtles.

Byonton ~ Shallower (55~75') vs. Jupiter (75'+). Less large animals, but great diving. Good mix of marine life, and reef.

Jupiter ~ Deeper, more advanced diving, Nitrox recommended. More chances to see large marine life, and some dramatic reef lines.

IMO do Jupiter one day, and Byonton another. They are both great sites. West Palm is a nice dive, but less dramatic than either Jupiter, or Boynton.

Like everyone else said, each area is a little different. I'd hit all three places and in each you'll see enough different stuff that you'll think you took a trip half way around the world.

P.S. You better book boats fast because lots have their morning boats filled or filling fast as that is a huge holiday weekend!

You could probably dive Boynton at the end of May in shorts and a lycra top. Water will probably be approaching the mid 80's. I'll be diving this weekend in Palm Beach with a 2mm shorty and a 1mm long sleeve top. You said that you prefer reefs over wrecks but I must recommend some of the wrecks around Palm Beach. Lots of big animals live in and around the wrecks.

None of them suck but for someone looking for the best reefs, I'd say Boynton reigns for those long nitrox dives in 55-75' and is hard to beat. Jupiter has it going on for the more frequent large animal encounters but the dives are deeper (and shorter as a result).
Yup - agree

I think Boynton has the best reefs in FL but Jupiter has the best diving if you are into animal encounters

WPB similar to Jupiter - sites tend to be a little shallower

You will not go wrong with either place but Jupiter wins it hands down for me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom