Mares Puck wrist type, good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wywern

Reaction score
I just find the new series on Dive computer on Mares website.
It looks good, full of necessary functions& cheap!
Have anyone ever used this PUCK? Is it good? and any problem?

the june 2008 issue of scuba diving magazine gave it really good reviews. it's simple, affordable, and low hassle. i bought one myself from scubatoys and hope to be getting it soon.

My fiance used one on her OW course and i fiddled a bit with it between dives.

What we liked about it was that it has a nice large display and was easy to use. It's also cheap
What we didn't like about it was that it only has one button, but I suppose one would get used to navigating through the interface with it after a short time.

Conclusion : We're getting her a Nemo Sport instead

Can anyone tell me where to get a Mares Puck Wrist Computer in Durban, cant find it in any local dive shops.
Thanks...

I bought mares puck wrist computers for my husband and I before our recent (5/08) trip to the Bahamas where we logged 8 dives with them. We're new to diving, but are doing 3-4 dive trips/year and wanted something simple, yet Nitrox compatible for the future.

We are both really happy with the Puck. It has a great big, easy to read display with the depth and no deco limit prominent. I really liked the ascent rate monitor and the conservative algorithm because our vacations are all about diving so we tend to do multiple dives on multiple days. We're all about safety and diving conservatively, but it might be too conservative for some. We definitely realized that our ascents had been a little fast before getting the computers, so the computers have definitely helped to improve our diving.

The water temp is also displayed, and I like having that info available (the rental Suunto I used in Australia didn't have temp and I was always curious about the temp). Once out of the water it switches and displays no-fly time. It only has one button, but after about 20 minutes with the manual I was ready to go.

The wrist mount is great, much easier to keep an eye on than the gauge console. This was key on the wall dives we were doing where it was easy to go very deep if not paying attention. The wrist mount made this easy to track. I was a little worried at first that the unit might be a bit too bulky on my wrist (I'm a very thin woman with tiny wrists), but it was fine, especially over a 3 mil wetsuit. There are smaller wrist units (like the Suunto I'd used before), but I liked the big display and simplicity of this computer and it is much less pricey than many other computers. Overall, I think this is a great basic computer and having computers that we are familiar with has made us safer, better divers.

Can anyone tell me where to get a Mares Puck Wrist Computer in Durban, cant find it in any local dive shops.
Thanks...

Hi Tahnee,

I don't know the Durbs dive shops but any of them that stock Mares will be able to get you the puck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom