HDR-HC9 or HDR-SR12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

khaled.alsibai

Registered
Reaction score
Guys..

i am about to buy a new sony for my diving shooting i am between
HDR-HC9

and
HDR-SR12

i find the SR12 amazing but i am consurned about the video quality, is the Tape camera would give me better image? even the SR12 has bigger sensor size?

please help me to decide, thank you

Look at housing avalibility, it might be the deciding factor. I have a HC-9 with the Gates housing - very happy with the set up. Can's comment on the other.

Phil

I just purchased the SR12 a few weeks ago, no housing yet, but I must say not having to deal with tapes is great. Also, while I know there has been some concern about image quality around here, I must say in my opinion the image quality is amazing. I don't have an HDTV yet (coming next month!), but I burned a DVD and took my test shots to Best Buy and played it on a 52" Sony HDTV/Blue-ray setup and holy toledo was I impressed. Rich color depth, great contrasts, and as you'd expect really sharp high quality imaging.

In truth my experience level with video is low, as my great passion is shooting stills, so I may have a less critical eye when it comes to this. I have previously only shot with Hi8, so by comparison it's a huge leap forward. Anyway, Ikelite and Light and Motion both now have housings for the SR12, as well as others (Top Dawg I think has one too?) so I think you should have no worries finding a housing.

While I know its highly rated, I can't speak for the HC-9. With either choice, you'll need to get some software for editing. Sony Vegas easily reads the video directly from the camera so you can use this with the Sony DVD Architect software to burn to DVD. Honestly, I probably won't do much video editing right now as my PC is a little behind the times so I only have the horsepower to burn DVDs without doing too much manipulation, but bear these things in mind as well.

Hope this helps you!

Personally I've been very disappointed with the HC-7 and wonder if either of these two camcorders resolves some of the issues I have with it. I think much of the concern I have centers around the CMOS chips or possibly the AWB used in that model. I have never experienced the shadow color shifts with any of my previous Sony camcorders based on CCD sensors.

However, when the subject is well and evenly lit, the results are pretty impressive.

Both cameras are great. The HC9 is quite comparable to the HC7, which has been extremely popular and most have been very impressed with its footage.

The SR-12 is a great camera and is definitely the future of cameras. The HC9 is proven to be a very reliable underwater camera. The main difference in my opinion is the HC9 has manual white balance capabilities in the available housings wherein the SR12 does not...and that is a major benefit when shooting underwater.

drbill,
read your feedback. I know that some camcorders have such problems but generally I guess it could be the chip itself.

I used to play with my 3 chip old panasonic and they were disappointing.Not until I made a complain to when sending it for an annual servicing that I realize there is some flaws with the chip. Got it replaced and the output is amazing now.

Thank you guys for the very helpful hints and answers, there is a very important point also, which with SR-12 i can save the tapes cost with cost a lot if you want to buy HD tapes, also will have a 10MP image quality, but anyone have any idea about housing types and prices!

Thank you guys for the very helpful hints and answers, there is a very important point also, which with SR-12 i can save the tapes cost with cost a lot if you want to buy HD tapes, also will have a 10MP image quality, but anyone have any idea about housing types and prices!

Gates makes a very nice housing. The controls are easy to access and use, plus it balances quite nicely underwater. The housing is built like a brick.

Amphibico is as tough too. If you like electronic controls, Ampibico can't be beat!

As per cost - the constant rule applies...you get what you pay for!

Customer service for both brands is top-notch. If I were to make a decision on a housing I would go with a company that offer excellent post-purchase service and doesn't try to constantly upgrade you, or gouge you for small repairs.

X

I've wondered about the possibility that the CMOS chip in my HC-7 may be problematic, especially in view of the good results other divers get with that camcorder. I have yet to shoot with it in clear tropical waters so that may be a factor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom