Destin Jetties dive report and pics 4/28/08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The sunburned head and sore legs (Friday's walk to the jetties and Saturday Relay for Life) had healed well enough for me to brave the mountain of sand at the jetties again on Monday. If you hated the walk to the dive before you will really hate it now. I think it's uphill both ways :D. I got to the water just before 4:00 pm (at high tide). The wind was out of the Northwest so the water was a little choppy (as much as it gets on the North side of the finger jetty). The water was greener than Friday and looked a little churned up. The 55 gallon drum was bobbing between straight up and tilting toward the gulf. When I entered the water it was as I thought, not as nice as Friday but OK. Viz was 15 to 20 and kind of dirty (looked like the Koi poop at Vortex). The silt is still there, not much current flowing to wash it out I guess. Water temp was 73 degrees but felt cooler than the 71 on Friday. I decided to stay on the North side by the iron box and try some different lighting on the crab pictures. Not much was happening as far as fish were concerned. At the end of the dive I debated if I wanted to do a second one. When I surfaced, I decided very quickly to gather my toys and go home. The wind was ripping out of the North and quite a bit cooler than when I had started the dive. Here is a slideshow of pics from the dive, just click on the picture:

Thanks for the report, the pics made me hungry though!

I do alot of training dives at the site so I was concerned when I heard about the work going on and saw Sea Yoda's photos.

However, I spoke with a friend who lives in Destin and with whom I dive with alot. Apparently, it is a beach reclimation project and eventually, the "hills" will be bulldozed and the beach restored. Hopefully, it will be soon...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom