BCD Manufacturer Sizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PepperDM

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all, I have a question...

I am going to Cozumel for my first warm water dive in July and unfortunately need to rent gear as it is way too expensive to bring mine. As such I was asked what size BCD I will require for the trip.

The problem is, since I was certified some 10 years ago, all I have dived with is an XL Mares Synchro Tech BCD. My question is, are the sizing charts more or less the same between manufacturers? Is an XL Mares BCD more or less the same as an XL Scuba Pro and so on??

They should be close enough. Most BCs can be adjusted up or down almost a full size. The best BC for this is Zeagle, and that goes for ALL of their models. You can adjust them a size and a half (or more) and they are light enough to travel with.

Of course, you could ask them what type of BC they are going to provide you with and go size it at a local shop. :D

Hey all, I have a question...

I am going to Cozumel for my first warm water dive in July and unfortunately need to rent gear as it is way too expensive to bring mine. As such I was asked what size BCD I will require for the trip.

The problem is, since I was certified some 10 years ago, all I have dived with is an XL Mares Synchro Tech BCD. My question is, are the sizing charts more or less the same between manufacturers? Is an XL Mares BCD more or less the same as an XL Scuba Pro and so on??

Out of curiosity why do you feel it will be way to expensive to bring your BC. Mine fits in my rolling carry-on along with my dive computer, prescription mask, regulator and various other small items.

Even if it forced you to need an additional suitcase it will probably cost $50 or more to rent one for the week. An additional piece of luggage would only cost you $25 each way and you would be diving with your own BC which you know and trust.

Out of curiosity why do you feel it will be way to expensive to bring your BC. Mine fits in my rolling carry-on along with my dive computer, prescription mask, regulator and various other small items.

Even if it forced you to need an additional suitcase it will probably cost $50 or more to rent one for the week. An additional piece of luggage would only cost you $25 each way and you would be diving with your own BC which you know and trust.

This is true, the extra bag is going to cost 50 bucks round trip, and renting gear for the week is going to be at least 50 dollars, unless you are only diving for 1 or 2 days.

But why on earth does anyone need more than one checked bag and one carry on for a trip to cozomel. Fins, BCD, wetsuit and suntain lotion in checked bag. Tee shirts, shorts and swim suits, reg, and computer in carry on. Done.

As much as I would LOVE to have my own BDC to dive with, I use a MARES Synchro Tech. I am not sure if you are familiar with it but this BCD is monstrous!! It would almost take an entire suitcase by itself.

In addition, I called the airlines and was told that, due to increased fuel pricing, as of yesterday, all extra bags are now $50.00 each way. Factor in that I am only doing 1 dive on the whole 7 day cruise, then spending the week after at home in Texas on the farm, 100.00 is a fair amount of money. Plus, I am not all that excited about lugging my equipment all over hells half acre for a one day 2 tank dive.

I didn't think I was religious. But I just realized that I am. I am a member of the pack light religion. Before I started traveling to scuba dive it was against the religion to check a bag. My wife and I can go to Europe for two weeks with two small carry-ons—in winter. Travel is so much more fun that way.

I sure wish I could figure out how to fit all the gear for a scuba trip into my carry on.

If you can rent a Zeagle, I'm thinking you will fit into a XL no problem.

I can't really comment on other BC's other than to say I take a L Zeagle, and a L, or XL in other makes. Most rental agencies carry a lot more than one BC size, so I'd say tell them what you think you need based on sizing charts (LP has them), and they will most likely exchange an incorrect size if that needs to happen.

As much as I would LOVE to have my own BDC to dive with, I use a MARES Synchro Tech. I am not sure if you are familiar with it but this BCD is monstrous!! It would almost take an entire suitcase by itself.

In addition, I called the airlines and was told that, due to increased fuel pricing, as of yesterday, all extra bags are now $50.00 each way. Factor in that I am only doing 1 dive on the whole 7 day cruise, then spending the week after at home in Texas on the farm, 100.00 is a fair amount of money. Plus, I am not all that excited about lugging my equipment all over hells half acre for a one day 2 tank dive.

That make sense to rent just for on dive day. Wow 50 buck each way now. Which airline is that?

ah, 1 day from a cruise is a whole different story than going to Coz for a week. All things considered renting definitely makes sense.

An XL in different brands and styles may fit a little differently even with adjustments, but if XL is what fits you in one brand, it's unlikely you would want a L or 2XL in some other brand with the same exposure protection. But I assume you wear a much different suit at home than you would in Coz? That would make it harder to guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom