Key Largo Wreck Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

all4scuba05

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be in Ft Lauderdale from May 17-24. Not sure how many dive days I can get in due to nondiving wife so want to make the first dive day a wreck on my to do list.
Interested in diving the Spiegel Grove or the USCG Duane.

1-Which of the 2 wrecks if only one?

2-How long does it take to drive down to Key Largo on weekend and weekday?

3- Which dive op/charter boat is highly recommended? I need to call and see if there's a spot open and what day.

4-Is there a dive shop in Ft Lauderdale that will rent a larger tank than an AL80 as well as a pony? and Nitrox? or should it be a shop in Key Largo?

The Duane and Spiegel Grove are both fantastic. If I had to do only one, it would be Spiegel Grove. But, if you are into photography it would be the Duane.
From Ft Laudedale usually close to 2hrs. with traffic a little longer in the evening.
Of course I can recommend a dive shop.......there are a couple of others that have those dives as scheduled dives, also.
Can't help you in Ft. Lauderdale......I'm a Keys sorta person.
Have fun!!!!

I agree on if you can only do one do the Spiegle, I have dove it sevearl times and have yet to see everything.The Duane is equally impressive, but I prefer the SG.
As for a Op, give Conch Republic a call or pm Capt Gary on the board, he is the owner.

look around and you can find some shops that will double dip the speigal or do the speigal the antoher deep wreck.

Most trips out will be a deep (like the speigal or duane) then a reef.

The Duane and Spiegel Grove are both fantastic. If I had to do only one, it would be Spiegel Grove. But, if you are into photography it would be the Duane.
From Ft Laudedale usually close to 2hrs. with traffic a little longer in the evening.
Of course I can recommend a dive shop.......there are a couple of others that have those dives as scheduled dives, also.
Can't help you in Ft. Lauderdale......I'm a Keys sorta person.
Have fun!!!!

Hey Pirate Lady! Do I know you? :wink:

I will be in Ft Lauderdale from May 17-24. Not sure how many dive days I can get in due to nondiving wife so want to make the first dive day a wreck on my to do list.
Interested in diving the Spiegel Grove or the USCG Duane.

1-Which of the 2 wrecks if only one?
2-How long does it take to drive down to Key Largo on weekend and weekday?
3- Which dive op/charter boat is highly recommended? I need to call and see if there's a spot open and what day.
4-Is there a dive shop in Ft Lauderdale that will rent a larger tank than an AL80 as well as a pony? and Nitrox? or should it be a shop in Key Largo?

1 - For me, it's the Duane simply because it has so much growth compared to the SG.
2 - see post 2
3 - Everyone has their favorites down there, just do a search. None of them are "bad" IMO, they wouldn't stay in business for more than a few months.
4 - A shop in Fort Lauderdale for larger tanks is Fill Express but be aware their tanks don't have VIP stickers because they don't want their tanks filled outside their shop. In the past, the Keys was fairly famous for "wet fills" that would ruin their steel rental tanks.

Have you considered diving the reefs and wrecks in the Ft Lauderdale/Boynton Beach area? That way you could do a morning dive and then sightsee in the afternoon with your wife. I'll bet doing it that way would you would end up with more dive time than running off to Key Largo for a long day.

Here's one example of a wreck near Ft. Lauderdale:
The United Caribbean United Caribbean - Boca Raton SCUBA Site - Dive Spots
and the nearby Se Emperor and Noula Express: Search Results - Dive Spots

Well, you can do the outside of the Duane reasonably well in one dive with cooperating conditions, whereas it would probably take 3 dives for the Grove. Both are great dives though.

Just got back from a weekend with Conch Republic, will definitely be seeing my repeat business.

1-Definitely the Speigle Grove. If you buy a guide they will take you inside some areas.
2-About 2 hours
3-Conch Republic
4-Not Sure

Have fun

1-I agree the SG.

2-Don't know.

3-I've gone with It's a Dive at the Marriott. I really like the shop and people and they do two dives on the SG in the same morning. I'm going the week before you and we were able to request the SG one morning and they made it work.

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom