Sport wing for a newbie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mksmith713

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My wife and I are newbies to diving having just completed our OW in march.
I was shopping for a decent BD for her when I came across a Dive Rite sport wing in just her size.
She certified with a vest style BC.
Is it feasible for her to start using a wing type as she really doesn't know any different?
Is a wing more difficult to use than a vest?
I'll be diving more than she will.

The answer to this question depends.

First off, I'm not familiar with the "sport wing." If you were trained in a jacket-style BC, getting used a back inflate (either back inflate BCD or backplate/wing combo) is not hard. It takes very little time, and actually makes diving much easier (in my opinion).

Can it be done? Yes. I was certified in a jacket style BCD, bought a back inflate BCD right out of class, and sold it recently for a back plate/wing. Different strokes for different folks, it depends on what you like.

Like I said, diving a back inflate (either traditional BCD or back plate/wing) is not hard. People will tell you that it will push you over at the surface...it wont. It will help you trim out better underwater, and makes my diving much more comfortable and enjoyable (I hate having junk around my chest and stomach like a 'jacket style' BCD, it bothers me to no end).

Danny

what is a DR sport wing? do you have a link.

i will assume it is some sort of back inflate BCD. if so, transitioning from a jacket style to back inflate was very easy for me. i also got certified in jacket style BCD, (rental) but shortly after purchased a back inflate and had no problems transitioning. it actually helped with my buoyancy underwater.

Dive rite does not have a "sport" wing. But any dive rite wing is designed to work with either a back plate or a transpack harness - a separate item from the wing unless you buy a package.

This is the exact same BC is was referring to.
I talked with her before making a decision on a purchase and she decided that with her limited experience and her lack of desire to dive alot (obviously I'm into diving more than she is), we decided to go with a vest style BCD.
We got a gret deal on an Aeris Caribe to scubatoys.com.
This BC looks to me like a typical no frills rental type unit that will serve her very well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom