Cave Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Siilverback

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am slowly putting together my gear for Cave Diving. I have almost everything except my wing. My LDS is pushing me towards the Dive Rite Superwing with dual bladder for its redundancy. Is a dual redundancy wing that important, wouldn't a single bladder wing work? I get different suggestions from the different LDS in the area. I know they are relatively new item and only been around for a couple years. Any comments, suggestions or bits of wisdom is welcome.

2 questions.

1. Are you diving wet or dry?
2. Are you diving with steel tanks or aluminum?

As PerroneFord hinted if you're diving dry redundant buoyancy can be accomplished through your drysuit. I'm a warm water wimp and I only dive dry in the 72 degree springs so a single bladder wing is all I would ever purchase.

Miranda

If you dive doubles in your dry suit, then I would say you do not need the double bladder. If you dive doubles wet, in the cave, and especially if you are wearing steel doubles, you're going to want the redundancy.

I used a double bladder for my cave class where I dove wet and hated it. Just cave dive dry. It makes things a lot simpler.

Just out of curiosity, how often do people pop wings in a cave? I've actually never heard of it.

My thoughts: If something is strong enough to slice through today's wings -- the outer shell and the bladder, it's probably going to slice a 2nd bladder too.

Not all wings are created equal. Some I wouldn't sweat whatsoever.. some make me nervous.

I've been researching and I am leaning towards the Dive Rite Classic wing or the OMS Larry Green Sig. Wing. I'm just curious how many cave divers are using redundant bladders and is it really necessary to have the redundant bladder for cave diving. There is a huge difference in price.

I really like my Oxycheq wings and have 3 of them, but no wing is impervious from harm. Mine got pinched somehow (probably sitting it down on a boat bench and got caught between the bench and the tank). The outside was not harmed and it was not obvious that the bladder was leaking air. Luckily I found it before the holes grew. My first double's wing was an old Dive Rite Classic that I bought from someone who did cave/tech in the 80's. It is faded but he took good care of it and it is still in fine shape.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom